Trouble blowing out lines

phess1

Mar 25, 2016
Altoona, PA
Hello,
This past weekend I started closing my pool. I brought the water level down and disconnected my salt cell and pulled drain plugs on filter and pump. I took my 5.5hp shop vac and reversed it to blow out the skimmers first. I put a gizmo with blowout value in the 2 skimmers. Initially I was getting no water to come out of the first skimmer line and I had a tight seal with line and shop vac. I would turn vac off and back on, then a burst of water up out of the gizmo, then water would drop down and nothing. I had seen this done before and it was like a geyser coming up out of the skimmer. I couldnt get that, it took forever and multiple turning off/on of the vac to finally get the line clear and blowing a fine mist. Same with my second skimmer took forever. At this point I knew blowing out the returns wasnt going work and same with the bottom drain, I never got air to come out either. I even hooked up my powerful leaf blower, no air. I dont understand how this could be happening. My 2 skimmer lines are clear, just took forever and I still need to clear the returns and air lock the bottom drain. What am I doing wrong that my shop vac and leaf blower cannot push air through these lines???
Thanks!!!

Im wondering if I should not have disconnected my salt cell, pump drain plugs, and filter drain plugs BEFORE trying to blow out the lines? Where Im connecting the shop vac to the lines happens before the pump and filter, so it doesnt appear they are involved, but maybe could be causing not enough pressure to move the water?

Phess:

Welcome to the forum and can you please add your signature. Nothing should be disconnected when blowing out the system. And the shop vac will probably not do the trick. You will have to work with an air compressor or professional pool blower. Please put everything back the way it was. Take some pictures (clear and from all angles) and send them over. Also, please read my post in this area "The concept of closing an in ground swimming pool", which was just updated in this section.

You can gain some insight on how it is done. The only difference is that the compressor is hooked up to an NPT fitting that goes in the pump housing. You can also isolate certain areas and suck some water out first and then use the compressor.

Sure. Here is a link to the plumbing. Shared album - Phil Hess - Google Photos

Where the far black plug is located goes to the returns. Close black plug goes to the skimmers. Hooking up shop vac in those two spots was not enough, I eventually did get the skimmers to blow mist. I do have an air compressor that will hook up to the drain hole on the pump. Assume Ill want to use the front hole, suction side, which would go to skimmers and bottom drain. However I dont know how Id get the returns. Do I need to put my salt cell back in the plumbing? Do I need to use the back pump drain hole? What setting should the filter be on? Ive looked at your document and thanks for that!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.