Trees around pool

Cmacias02

Jul 27, 2023
Southern California
Hello,

I am a homeowner and was wondering if I could get some suggestions on what kinds of trees to put up that surround my pool area. I live in Southern California and have a area that is approximately 5 feet in width by 30 feet in length that runs along the length of my pool. I am looking for any suggestions for some trees that could be placed in this area that will also grow upwards of 10-20 feet that can provide privacy from our surrounding neighbors. Any help or suggestions would be great as there is not a long of non-foliage options I have located.

Welcome to TFP. I'm thinking maybe palm trees in your climate because - unlike some other trees - they wouldn't be constantly dropping leaves into the pool.

I can't think of anything that isn't going to drop leaves or flowers at some point in it's life cycle. And most trees that get 10-20' tall are going to end up overhanging the pool. You might consider some of the traditional hedge plants, privet will get that tall while maintaining a fairly narrow form (but will require maintenance). But stay away from Italian Cypress as the tiny cones and needles are far worse to deal with than leaves.

There are indeed lots of California natives that you could consider, we have many in our own gardens, but they are all quite messy and generally low-growing shrubs, or spreading trees.
A non-native but drought-tolerant plant you might consider is Arbutus Uendo. It can be either a multi-trunk or single trunk tree, is fairly slow growing and could be pruned to fit the space.

There is a popular Ceanothus 'Ray Hartman' that you might consider as well but be aware that when it blooms there are masses of very small flowers that eventually drop. It's also more of a 6-8' tree not 10-12'.

Reactions: Cena_sea
I’d second talking to local nurseries. I got some really prescient info from them I should’ve heeded. Both places warned me against a plant that was in the correct zone and they were right. I also got some really good recommendations.

Wanted to add I actually met a nearby master gardener (I think that was the term)—from that UC program who offered me free advice and ideas. I think they try to help people.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.