Tree roots below above ground pool liner

Jun 8, 2017
Concord NH
I noted small, elevated areas on the bottom of my abg pool 2 summers ago. At that time I couldn't figure out what was happening. Two years later, these have grown further into the pool and I figured out these must be tree roots. I have not noticed any leakage or lowing of the water level but think it is just a matter of time before the friction of brushing the pool and normal use from family playing in the pool will wear down the vinyl immediately above these roots. Other than cutting down the trees, which unfortunately are not on my property or digging around the perimeter of the pool to sever the roots, any suggestions to avoid the inevitable of needing to replace the liner, at which time the roots could be removed, but I assume will return. I have not seen this issue addressed before. Thank you in advance for any help.

I guess the question is how old is the pool? Tree roots should have been removed before putting up the pool if it's a newish install, of course that's assuming you knew there were roots there!🤔

Over the years trees have a way of sending their roots out everywhere. I was surprised at how many roots were around my old AG pool that had been excavated to level the ground. My trees are probably 20+ feet away from my pool. When I cleared the rocks for the new pool the root systems were all in beneath the rocks.

I would think that cutting the roots if you can find them is the way to go. I have used a Sawzall to cut the roots. Roots will die and rot eventually possibly leaving a rut but that could take years.

Sorry, I don't have a definitive answer but I think if the bulge is getting taller you probably should do something sooner than later.

Reactions: kellyfair
I agree with comment above - at this point you want to keep the problem from getting worse, then when you eventually replace liner you can investigate further.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.