Travertine

Brentr said:
We paid $3.00 per sq ft for the extra pavers outside our screened enclosure. This was done thru our PB during construction of our pool build however I think he normally charges @ $4.50 to $5.00 per sq ft. Hope this helps.....
Laying travertine or stone is much different than pavers. More labor involved. Plus stone coping is more expensive than brick coping as well.

Lershac said:
Brentr-

What material are your pavers made of?
I'll let Brent answer for himself, but in case he doesnt log on for awhile, that would most likely be concrete.
You can get all kinds. Smooth, tumbled, etc. Several companies make them.
Unilock is a good brand

http://www.unilock.com/Products/Pavers/ ... sselsBlock

Pavers are cheaper than tile to lay, generally. No mortor (except the coping) so no hard underlayment. Prices Brent quoted are a bit out of line with the rest of the US, however. Most of the time you can do pavers for $10-15 a sq foot. Thats materials and labor. Coping is a bit more. Bruce's $45 a lineal foot is a bit higher than what you would pay around here in new england, but probably not for California. My coping was ~$35 a lineal foot installed, so YMMV depending on where you are. In south Louisiana, i'm sure is going to be cheaper than the coasts.

Lershac said:
Brentr-

What material are your pavers made of?
My pavers are made of concrete. I am really happy I do not live in the North or out West. Costs there seem very high to me. :cheers: :cheers:

I bought belgard pavers at liquidation for a $1 per ft and install is $1 per foot for 3000 sq ft I am installing.

As to the travertine issue ( I am still humored btw at the desperation to get an answer as opposed to be told not to do it). I can just say that I did considerable research and found Andean travertine to have the highest density with the least fill. I assume this is due to lower limestone content. I have 3000 sq ft in home installed. I purchase through MSI stone and recommend them. They are direct purchasers from quarries and offer best pricing. You should go to stone dealer with account at MSI and offer a couple hundred dollars to order for you. I saved over $6k that way. The same stone was $5 per sq ft at Lowes ; I got it for around $2.50. Sealing is not a big deal; you have to seal or should pavers around pool as well. If not tumbled it is slippery and subject to chipping. Concrete pavers are ideal and having 6-8k psi does not hurt. Travertine is beautiful but the deck will show wear. If it's rustic does not matter. I know you do not want to hear it sorry, but you should not expect censored opinions; I agree with others not to do the deck in travertine however. Just my 2 cents.

Well, I needed part of my travertine order for the bathroom and patio decks before I do the pool, so I went ahead and ordered the whole lot. 30000 lb of travertine, a borrowed forklift, and I had a fun friday and now have a back driveway that is full of pallets of stone. Its beautiful stuff, I am going to miss being able to park far back in my property for a few months tho.

That's Alot of stone. I know what that must look like. For 6 months now I have had 28 pallets of paver stones sittin in my driveway. It looks like a locomotive from the Flinstones. Thankfully I have a long driveway and understanding neighbors (who want to swim). :lol:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have a cracked kool-deck that has had better days. I had a visit by a contractor a year ago to cover it with a deco-crete flagstone to compliment the cracks. The multi-color upkeep and chipping of the top lay just turned me off... I was pumped for $1 sq concrete pavers, but now I'm leaning towards stone for 1500 sq ft

I too like the look of travertine... I live in central FL and around here either you have concrete pavers, old red bricks, or kool-deck. I've looked at the tumbled rustic look and like a few variations. I'm close to ordering travertine coping and pavers...

:lol: I jumped in!!! Got 11 crates in the backyard this AM... We love the look and for FL - I'm sure we'll be fine with the general issues surfaced... I'll cover the deck demo / remodel on the other thread...
its-time-pool-resurface-and-deck-updates-t27430.html
beff6243.jpg

Just has travertine pavers put around our pool here in Dallas. When they put the drains in, they used the saw to try and make circles for the drains. Didn't come out that great. Has anyone had this done and how did they cut the travertine pavers for the drains? Thanks in advance.

slide said:
Just has travertine pavers put around our pool here in Dallas. When they put the drains in, they used the saw to try and make circles for the drains. Didn't come out that great. Has anyone had this done and how did they cut the travertine pavers for the drains? Thanks in advance.
There are diamond core drill bits that will cut a clean, smooth hole in tile/stone.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.