Transitioning from Pool Store Method to TFPC - What Should I do First?

Interesting Kim!

BoDarville - thanks - that OCLT test makes sense. Is the FAS-DPD test the chlorine drop test under the weekly tests for the TF-100 test kit?

I am just starting out myself (TF-100 still in the process of shipping to my house) so I can't give you a definitive answer but I think the FAS-DPD test would be a weekly test and the standard OTO test would be more of a daily test. The TF-100 does include both. However, for the overnight test you definitely want very precise numbers so the FAS-DPD test is the way to go. You also probably just want to stick with the FAS-DPD test until your pool gets stable and consistent.

By the way, how long did it take to get your kit in the mail, and where did you order it from. I was told to order from poolsupplyworld because it ships faster.

Also I just want to say I love your commitment :p.

KASCPAMBA said:
Is the FAS-DPD test the chlorine drop test under the weekly tests for the TF-100 test kit?
There are several members who use the OTO for chlorine testing on most days and use the more precise FAS-DPD test once or twice a week. Others, like me, only use the FAS-DPD test. You definitely want to use the FAS-DPD test for the OCLT and for SLAMming - Shock Level And Maintain if the results of the OCLT dictate a need to SLAM.

Thanks Herdo, BoDarville & Kim! Herdo - my test kit took 9 days to arrive from NC; I ordered it from TFTestKits and it went UPS from NC to CA. When I ordered a replacement of the R-0013 it only took 2-3 days via USPS. Both times I picked the least expensive shipping method.

I'm planning on doing the OCLT test tonight.

As of today, FC = about 1.5 (an improvement but I put in a second dose of bleach after the 2nd test yesterday so that may be why). PH still = about 7.65. I will use the powder test for the OCLT test tonight and in the am.

I added my first name to my signature - it may be easier to type lol.

1 hour after adding bleach according to pool math shooting for 6ppm, I tested FC using powder test and FC = 6.5 ppm so it is going up there. I'm curious what the readings will be for the OCLT test tonight and tomorrow AM! I will post tomorrow.

OCLT Test. PM FC = 5.5 ppm. AM FC = 4.0 ppm. My husband took the AM reading but I think this is a good test because when asked if the sun was rising or came up yet he said "I don't no" and "I don't recall", but when asked if the sun was hitting the pool he said "no" I said "Are you sure?" and he said "definitely". So it looks like I have to slam the pool since the difference is more than 1. Hopefully I'll be able to read about slamming a little later but we have to leave in about an hour - yikes! If worst comes to worse I just shoot for the normal FC amount so at least we're not low on chlorine.

We will definitely need to start the slamming process another day. We're going out for lunch and much needed :cheers:. I might not be able to do a reliable FC test later today lol. FC this afternoon = 1.5 ppm.

KASCPAMBA said:
OCLT Test. PM FC = 5.5 ppm. AM FC = 4.0 ppm...So it looks like I have to slam the pool since the difference is more than 1.
Yep...Kinda what I was expecting given the high rate of chlorine consumption you have experienced --- now we have the data to back it up. Until you are ready to devote the time to the SLAM, continue maintaining normal to slightly elevated FC according to your new CYA level. This will help keep thing from getting worse. Would suggest doing the SLAM as soon as you reasonably can--it will take less time than all those drain & refills you endured to get the CYA in line.

Tonight, enjoy the :cheers:. I've had a few myself after this week!

Thanks BoDarville. Oops - I added the slam level of chlorine and was reading what to do next and realized my ph is too high. I guess it won't hurt anything other than our pocket books but I will need to get the chlorine back to the normal level and adjust the ph before I start the slamming process again. Before slam FC = 1.5 ppm, ph = 7.8. Darn - I was all read to go!

I do have some questions though. Is it safe to swim with shock levels of chlorine? Is there a minimum period of time to SLAM the pool or can you perform the OCLT test after the 1st day of slamming to see whether to continue or not?

Last edited:
As long as the FC is below SLAM level, you can swim. As soon as you're done swimming, you can raise it back up above.

It takes how ever long it takes. When to do the OCLT is kind of up to you. Some people do multiple tedts to watch the overnight loss rate change, others don't bother until the water is crystal clear, because they're continuing the SLAM until that point anyways, not matter what the OCLT returns.

Once FC gets below 10 ppm, adjust pH within the range of 7.2 - 7.5. Then ignore pH until the SLAM process is done.

KASCPAMBA said:
Is it safe to swim with shock levels of chlorine?
There are differing opinions on this, by my take is that I would not swim if the FC is at or above shock level for your CYA. Anything below that is fine for swimming.

KASCPAMBA said:
Is there a minimum period of time to SLAM the pool or can you perform the OCLT test after the 1st day of slamming to see whether to continue or not?
There is no minimum time period, per-se. Since you will need to periodically test FC a few times a day to maintain shock level, you can get an approximation by doing this...In the evening, once the sun is off the pool, test FC and dose with chlorine as needed to hit your SLAM target (which should be 20 ppm FC for a CYA of 50 ppm). In the morning, ideally before the sun hits the pool, test FC again and note the result before adding any extra chlorine. If the FC loss in the morning test is around 2 ppm or less from the FC level you dosed up to in the evening (again, assuming that level was the 20 ppm shock target for your CYA), then you are getting close and you could look at doing the OCLT that evening. If the FC loss is higher than that, it's not worth doing the OCLT yet.

A few other notes...If you have a ladder or removable steps, clean around, in, and under those items as they are favored hiding spots for algae and other organic contaminants. Pool toys and such should be removed from the pool and cleaned/disinfected. If you have a light fixture and the FC consumption remains high after several days of SLAMming, I would disassemble the fixture and clean it as well as the area behind the light fixture as this is another favorite spot for algae and other organic contaminants to take cover.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Keep the faith. The key part of the SLAM is the M for Maintain. The closer the FC is kept at the target level, the quicker the SLAM process will go. When this is done, you will be able to enjoy your pool. With the diligence you've shown thus far, that day is not far off!

Thanks BoDarville. Results of last night's OCLT: PM FC = 20.5, AM FC = 20. Yeah!!!! :whoot: You were right, that definitely wasn't as painful as the CYA test!

This afternoon test results: FC = 11.5, CC = .5, TC = 12.0, CH = 250, TA = 180, Ph = 7.8.

So it looks like everything but TA is inline. Ph may not be accurate due to the high chlorine levels. I will keep an eye on Ph when chlorine level goes down and if it spins out of control I will adjust TA down.

I think we're "in the clear" for now anyway! Correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks so much for your assistance! Hopefully our chlorine usage will decrease now!

PS - I will be reading up on the pool pump now - it will be nice to get our pump time down and save on electicity!

:confused:So I was reading

http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/152-determine-pump-run-time

(about determining pump run time), and it says "There are several objectives for pump run time. First, it is very important to add chlorine to the pool in order to reach FC targets. For BBB pool owners, this can amount to only 30 minutes of run time while adding chlorine for distribution....Next, studies have shown that a typical pool really only needs about 4 hours of run time for proper chlorination, circulation and cleaning. So our recommendation is to start off with 4 hours of run time if your pump is single speed ... then gradually increase the pump run time until it is clean enough for your own tastes. "

So why increase from 4 hours if it is possible to get down to 1/2 hour. Should I increase or decrease as desired, rather than decrease?

For now, I put the timer on 4 hours to start tomorrow. I'll keep it that way for a week if everything looks good. Already if this seems sufficient that will be cutting our summer run time in half!

Last edited:
Great job!:goodjob: Assuming your water is clear and, given the OCLT of 1 ppm or less (you had a loss of 0.5 ppm) and CC of 0.5 ppm or less (you're right on the line at 0.5 ppm), you have passed the three criteria of "done" for the SLAM. I would still let the pump run 24/7 for another day to help filter out any dead algae (yeah...I know, the electricity - especially in CA - but it's just one more day). Would also maintain FC at the high end of the maintenance range for your CYA over the next week or so as a little extra precaution.

I would let FC drop below 10 ppm before testing/adjusting pH. After that, continue to monitor your pH. If it drifts up rather quickly, then I would adjust TA down. Muriatic Acid (MA) will both lower pH and TA. OTOH, if your pH remains relatively stable, you can leave TA where it is. Main difference is the amount and frequency of MA additions. It will take less if you're monitoring/adjusting slowly rising pH only; more if you want to lower pH and TA.

As for the pump run time, I would start with 4 hours/day and try that over the course of a week. If the pool looks good, then reduce the run time by a half-hour and go with that for another week. Keep repeating this process until you notice a difference in the water clarity. When that happens, bump the run time up to the previous level. This is the process I followed and it's worked well for me all these years. The amount of run time needed varies from pool to pool and is dependent on the speed of your pump (e.g., 2-speed, variable-speed, single-speed) to name a couple of the more common factors. Of course, you may need to make occasional allowances for unusual things like pool parties and higher than normal debris in the water (say from storms). Maintaining proper chlorination is very important in water clarity. If you maintain proper chlorine levels, you will be able to run your pump less than someone who doesn't.

Let me also congratulate you for your persistence and willingness to learn. It's been a pleasure assisting you and seeing the progress you have made. You deserve a couple of cold ones :cheers:. If you have any further questions, please post back.

Thanks so much BoDarville. FC = 3 and ph = about 7.65 today. I turned the pump back on last night per your instructions and will start the 4 hour plan tomorrow. I did have a couple of cold ones last night lol! It was the first day since I've started this all I had to do with the pool was test and swim - no draining or chemical additions. My neighbor was asking what we did to get our pool so sparkling - so the effort is paying off! :D

KASCPAMBA said:
It was the first day since I've started this all I had to do with the pool was test and swim - no draining or chemical additions. My neighbor was asking what we did to get our pool so sparkling - so the effort is paying off! :grin:
Now you're posed to enjoy the fruits of your labor. If your neighbors are already noticing your now-sparkling pool, it's proof positive that your efforts were effective and worthwhile.

Just remember to maintain FC between 4 and 8 ppm, according to your new CYA of 50. When dosing with chlorine, I would aim for a target of 6 ppm which will give you some headroom for normal FC loss due to sunlight.

FYI, I got the long awaited water bill and it was less than a $30 increase from the prior month - that wasn't too painful! I am loving this new method. My ph snuck up to about 8, so I decided to slowly work on decreasing my TA. The first round of lowering the TA it only went from 180 to 170, but at least it's going in the right direction! Thanks again for everything to all those who helped me get to where I am. The chlorine is sticking way better than it was in the past - today's reading was FC = 4 (my goal every day has been 6), so I'm a happy camper! :p

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.