Transition from end of plaster 28 day startup

old_monk

Mar 28, 2024
Raleigh
I'll leave my other thread to the 28 days startup process, coming Wednesday marks end of 28 day new plaster period. During this time I have tried to keep FC in 3-4, pH around 7.8, TA 80-90, CH 200, CYA 40 (NPT + TFP recommendations).
I'm looking to understand how the end of 28 days would impact these chemical levels, shall I continue at same level or need to change some or all of them? Salt system may not start for couple of more weeks.

Also, looking to buy robotic cleaner. Is there a list of TFP recommended ones? Hopefully ok to use on the plaster at this stage?
Thanks!

Your levels are on the link below.

Do you have the K-1766 (or other Taylor) salt test kit? If so, test your salt level and use PoolMath to determine how much salt you need for your SWG.

I am going into my 8th season with my Polaris 9650iQ. Never any problems. Doesn't get stuck on anything. Polaris is expensive but buy once, cry once. You are ok to use a robot now.

Pool Care Basics

Reactions: old_monk
Your levels are on the link below.

Do you have the K-1766 (or other Taylor) salt test kit? If so, test your salt level and use PoolMath to determine how much salt you need for your SWG.

I am going into my 8th season with my Polaris 9650iQ. Never any problems. Doesn't get stuck on anything. Polaris is expensive but buy once, cry once. You are ok to use a robot now.

Pool Care Basics
I ordered the 9650iQ after reading about it and some other models, should arrive this week. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
One question on my sand filter, I posted in my startup thread about valve stuck and not moving to backwash. That was due to some sand inside the valve head. PB sent someone to fix it and I used it couple of times to do backwash so far. It is again stuck like that and I can feel the sand when I try to move it. I would not expect sand kicking up into valve and causing this, that would be a basic design flaw IMO. Did my installer install something wrong way? Any insights appreciated. thanks!