East Hampton NY
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Seems like my wall is leaking below the skimmer but above the jets. I have demonstrated this leak three times this week with the jets plugged. The water leaks rapidly down to the top of the jets area - mostly stops leaking (leads slowly down to 1/2 inch below the top of the jets, then stops completely). It suggests to me that my pool/spa wall is the likely porous structure where water is leaking. Unfortunately I refinished the spa this year.

I went back and looked at photos of my 2010 renovation when the spa jets were moved. Though I dont remember what I did, it appears that the spa jets were lowered, which means there were holes that needed to be plugged where the jets used to be. 12 years later, might this be the source of the leak? And if so, what can I do now to address?

(two photos below (1) spa today, with water having leaked to the jets and the jets still plugged. (2) photo from 2010 renovation which shows the older holes which were filled)

Attachments

• IMG_0501.JPG
    IMG_0501.JPG
    389.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5395.jpeg
    IMG_5395.jpeg
    533.5 KB · Views: 8
The plaster is the waterproofing so odd that it would leak as you say.

You are sure that the spa is not equalizing with the pool via a malfunctioning check valve?

The spa has its own plumbing not shared with the pool. When water level gets below the skimmer, the only places water can escape are [working upward] (1) the main drain at the bottom; (2) the lights; (3) the autofill; (4) the spa's return; (5) the jets; and (6) the shell. Water is leaking down to the jets and stopping, which I think rules out the drains, the lights, the autofill (which is plugged for my test anyway), and the spa return.

The jets could be the source of the leak, but I had plugs inserted in all 8 jets. Water loss slowed from 2 inches/day down to the top of the jets to maybe 1/2 inch after that. And I removed the plus from the jets and water loss stayed at some but minimal. Maybe the plugs (waterway screw in plugs, with lubricate do-rings) did not seal the jets fully? And maybe the water loss slowed as it got closer to the level of the leak?

The other thing I am thinking is that the jets were relocated on a renovation in late 2010, and there were 8 holes where the jets used to be that were filled in and replastered. I am concerned that perhaps that is what is leaking.

I really want to get a leak detection company to come look, but I cannot find anyone this summer in the Hamptons. I have my third pool company coming tomorrow to have a look, but I am not optimistic.

I also purchased 2 quarts of fix-a-leak and may give it a shot if everything else fails.

Pool company came out today. Pressure tested the spa jets and saw drop of 2 psi (from 10 psi). Also found that when water or air was run through the jets system with jets pugged, there is a small area at mouth of skimmer where water or air came out. So something is wrong in the lines and the leaking water or air found an escape route. Photos show where air/water comes out on pressurized lines.

Need to wait until we are done for season to dig up around pipes (under tile and concrete) to properly repair.

Question: Is it worth trying Fix-A-Leak to see if it helps?

Attachments

• IMG_5322.jpg
    IMG_5322.jpg
    635.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5324.jpg
    IMG_5324.jpg
    582.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5007.jpg
    IMG_5007.jpg
    605.5 KB · Views: 4
Leak solved. See my other thread:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.