total noob..is leslie's ripping me off?

Once you learn the Trouble Free Pool Care (TFPC) method, it is very easy to follow, takes very little time, and you will know what your pool needs without walking into a pool store and opening your wallet. However, key to the TFPC method as mentioned above, is an appropriate test kit that accurately measures all the critical parameters of your pools chemistry. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison Many of us have the tf-100 since it is the best value.

Freakaloin said:
My bil is the one who told me to take samples to Leslie's and buy whatever they suggest. That what he does... But he's got more money than he knows what to do with...

Imagine how much more he'd have if he went TFPC!

Maybe... you could master it, then get him in on it, and then have him split the annual savings, compared to his trips to Leslie's, with you or buy the kids great Christmas presents!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think the same about Leslie's. However my local Leslie's manager treats me pretty good. However I am in a pickle with a part I bought off of Amazon that dosen't work after a month, dealing with manufacturers and store warranties out of state is a PITA. Now I am fending off a dirty pool. If I bought at Leslies I could swap it out. So beware of buying less expensive parts online.

chris fox said:
I think the same about Leslie's. However my local Leslie's manager treats me pretty good. However I am in a pickle with a part I bought off of Amazon that dosen't work after a month, dealing with manufacturers and store warranties out of state is a PITA. Now I am fending off a dirty pool. If I bought at Leslies I could swap it out. So beware of buying less expensive parts online.
I should probably clarify that I was discussing pool chemistry:
linen said:
One thing for certain, if you try and follow Leslies [Edit/]pool chemistry[/Edit] advice and the TFPC method taught on here, you will have trouble.

This thread is liking watching a reality show of someone getting counseling. The patient wants to change, but although the counselor tells them what to do, they continue to come back with questions showing they are ignoring the advice. I'm not making fun of the OP, just pointing out how great of a site this is. The people who know better, will continue to assist those who don't, no matter how resistant they are, so long as they keep coming back asking for help. But at some point you have to do more than want to change, you have to actually change. I did appreciate the low-key humorous comment a few posts back.

OP - Anything new takes some time up front. If you want to learn the way to pool maintenance that will make you feel at ease because you now "get it", commit to read Pool School (several times) and "get it". It takes some time and mental energy, but don't all things worthwhile?

Best of luck. :wink:

I'm gonna go back to the original post in this thread and disagree with several of the answers given here.

Freakaloin said:
Is Leslie's shooting me straight here?

Several people here have led you to believing that in some way Leslie's are "out to get you" and providing you with false info to steal your money. That's not true. The info that Leslie's has via your test results has led them to provide you with an action plan that is very close to one you would receive here. Your CH levels are low and need to be raised, and your TA level is on the low side.....but not a major concern at this time. IF you feel more comfortable using the "free service" of testing that Leslies' provides then by all means.....Leslie's provides a fair and honest answer to your question of "What does my pool need."

With that said.....this site has a history in seeing a long term pattern of error's done during various phases of pool store testing, resulting in false info given to you from the pool store. Odd's say that if you return to the same store today, you'll end up with a different set of numbers......and a different set of chemicals to add to the pool. This is not a "dishonest" issue on the part of Leslie's.......as often the workers are simply poorly trained and rushed. Now what this site is based on is YOU taking control of your pool and knowing what's happening. Leslie's has taken the time in learning more about your pool and what it needs to continue to stay clear. Until YOU shift the knowledge curve over onto your side you will continue to pay Leslie's for their knowledge of your water. What we sell here at TFP is 100% free. Go into pool school and spend a weekend reading. Save it or print it out......and spend a few minutes taking a break from the kids reading the articles. In short time you will start to shift the knowledge level over to your side.....resulting in smaller bills running your pool. You will see why a test kit that we recommend is must, and will learn what chemicals are needed to run your pool.

I will second the opinion that local and chain stores generally aren't trying to rip you off. What they are trying to do is sell high priced pool branded products based on testing that in many TFP members experience is hurried and inconsistent (day to day and store to store). Testing is typically based on methods that do not provide a high enough degree of precision (not much is required, but they are too far from what is necessary).

If I had to give a general opinion of many pool store customers attitudes it would be as follows: They are in a hurry to get their water perfect, do not want to be 'confounded or confused' with the chemistry. If the stores tried to educate every customer on the finer details that take about 4 to 6 hours to figure out and another 4 to 6 to confidently put into practice, their sales would decline because they would be focusing on teaching instead of selling. Every time I went to my pool store at least one person in the testing line had a green mess to deal with and blindly purchased the magic bullets of varying colors and price.

I would encourage the OP to read some of the end of season success stories in the TFPC forum, mine included - thanks-to-everyone-who-contributes-here-t70792.html as I had a similar desire to reduce costs. My first year I was happy to be using the high priced treatment program my locally owned store had sold me which seemed to be doing the job, along with the other weekly chem additions to bring the various numbers in line. At the end of that year I was somewhere north of $800 in the weekly shock/tabs/algaecide and other additions and questioning whether it was worth it. I later switched from their chems to a cheaper program from a big box store. Mid season my pool store identified an issue they did not expect to see based on the chems they thought I was purchasing from them - high CYA.

The store spotted the issue and their alert made me wonder what I was doing to my pool and the downside of my decisions on what to add. I learned more in the Pool School and figured it out. I suspect that the OP's BIL has no idea he is near the edge of a potential algae bloom, or perhaps he is draining or vacuuming to waste weekly keeping CYA barely under control.

With the proper test kit and what I learned here, I am saving money and in control of my pool. I works for me, but your mileage may vary.

I would suggest the OP do what they are comfortable with and also be very careful with purchasing a kit from Leslie's as the only two that will suffice and allow control are their item numbers 81329 and 81325 which are not stocked in the stores near me and must be ordered.

Good luck and happy swimming.

jtaves85mcss said:
I would suggest the OP do what they are comfortable with and also be very careful with purchasing a kit from Leslie's as the only two that will suffice and allow control are their item numbers 81329 and 81325 which are not stocked in the stores near me and must be ordered.
Leslie's item 81329 is the Chlorine FAS-DPD Service Test Kit and is a Leslie's rebranded Taylor K-2006. However, Leslie's item 81325 is the Service Complete DPD Test Kit and is a Leslie's rebranded Taylor K-2005. We don't generally recommend the latter because the DPD chlorine test bleaches out at higher chlorine levels and isn't as accurate with its visual comparison (the FAS-DPD chlorine test has one count the drops until the sample turns clear).

Also, we recommend the TFTestkits TF-100 because it has more of the reagents you use the most so is more economical, but if you wanted the Taylor K-2006 then getting it at TFTestkits is still less expensive ($56) than getting it at Leslie's ($86).

Thanks for the clarification Chem Geek, I stand corrected on the scope and capabilities of the kits. Bad understanding on my part based on initial input from the store. Many months ago I found a Leslie's commercial supply store locally and they sold me the FAS-DPD kit (2006) instead of the DPD only (2005) which is what they originally recommended but did not have in stock. As it turns out, I lucked out.

Yes, if I had it to do over, I would have ordered a TF-100 kit, but I wanted to get started immediately. Should have had some POP for the mail. I have since begun ordering resupply from TF-Testkits and am very happy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.