Total Newbie Pool Questions

carlscan26 said:
Well they were close on your TA and CYA...the CL was read before you "shocked" with the cal hypo so who knows if they were right before or not.

Your CL is so high because you put in the cal-hypo shock. The CH levle is nothing to worry about - plenty of people manage much higher levels and when you put those numbers in the pool calculator your CSI is still fine.

Not really. The morning after I added the cal-hypo I took a sample to them and got this:

FC - 5
CYA - 30
TA - 80
pH - 8.1
CH- 225

That's why I added the muriatic acid.

Is there any chance the Cal-Hypo hadn't fully mixed after 12 hours of pumping? I made sure it had all dissolved when I put it in (took forever).

BTW, I have forgotten many times to say thank you to all of you. This one thread (let alone the whole forum and the pool school) has saved me a lot of time, money, and especially worry.

Now I just need to figure out how to deal with the live oak next door which is dumping a garden trash bag a day worth of leaves into the pool. ;) Pool has a big (6') wall on one side with waterfalls and a flowerbed above or I'd buy a cover.

Yeah they missed it even worse then. They definitely got the CL wrong and the high CL is why they got a high pH which is why they told you to put in acid. Good news is there won't be permanent damage from this and you are pretty close to perfect once the cl comes down and you adjust pH

Tonight's tests. Three different places in the pool

FC - 15.5, 14.5, 16.5
CH - 525, 500, 525
pH - above 7.2 and below 7.5
Taylor kit Chlorine color is now a lot lighter - a dark yellow.

That's all I tested. The CH thing is just odd. What could make it go up by itself?

Pic as promised - right after the first pass on the leaves. Waterfalls, fountains and spa in back with flowerbed above. Now you can see why I don't have a leaf cover.
IMG_1584-1.jpg

Leaves are all from neighbor's live oaks. No trees that shed around the pool other than the Silver Elm behind the pool - and that's very manageable in November.

It's been pouring for 2 days, but I reached down 2-3 feet to get samples so I hope that increased the accuracy:

TC - 6.5
FC - 6.0
CYA - 40
pH - 7.2 (acid rain?)
TA - 60
CH - 500

Temp is only 53F. On the other readings it was 60-63.

How does that affect the readings?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.