Total chlorine level reduction

helander

Aug 10, 2023
Sweden
I have constantly a difference between total chlorine and free chlorine of around 0.5 - 0.6 ppm. I have heard that this level should preferably be lower. I have tried chock chlorination but it did not lower the level. Any ideas on how to lower it?

Hey helander and Welcome !!!

CCs can be .5 or even 1 with normal pool operations. TC is a junk stat. 5+1= 6 and 3+3=6 tell two entirely different stories. The 6 tells you nothing. :)

Test and report them as FC and CC.

Reactions: Mdragger88
What kind of chlorinating chemicals do you have access to? Liquid chlorine, powdered chlorine (stabilized with CYA or calcium)?

What kind of test kit do you have access to in Sweden? Can you get one that reads high levels (above 10ppm) free chlorine?

Does this indoor pool room have good ventilation ? Are you able to bring in fresh outdoor air and control the humidity in the room?

Being an indoor pool, it is going to be complicated to fix the issues. Indoor pools get very little sunlight or UV and are often built into physical spaces that have poor ventilation. So you wind up with lots of problems with combined chlorine (CC) and bad smells.

I have got powdered chlorine, both with CYA and without (calciumhypochlorite).
I have got a Poollab 1.0 (does not get above 10 ppm free chlorine).
I can fix good ventilation temporarily - open doors and windows, but not constantly. I have an electric dehumidifier I use from time to time.
Does the air and humidity impact the level of CC (I understand that it impacts the percieved smell)?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.