Tampa, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Edge-25
I haven’t installed it yet (long story) and the instructions say I can either do it so that it only runs when pump is running, or do it separately so I can run the pump 24/7 and the SWG for a few hours a day. How do you all have yours set up, and what are pros and cons of each?

I have a single speed pump, connected to a mechanical timer, so I have my SWG wired so that the timer turns on/off both the pump and SWG at the same time. I run the pump/SWG for 9 hours a day.

The logic behind this is that I don't want power to the SWG while the pump isn't running. Without water flow, if the flow switch fails the SWG can build up hydrogen gas. Building up hydrogen gas has caused catastrophic failures.

The disadvantage of operating this way, is I need a bigger SWG than if I ran 24 hours a day. As chlorine demand goes up and I reach 100% output, I need to run my pump longer, but I have never reached 100% and 24 hours of operation.

Reactions: kellyfair
You got it right Kelly. Both ways work.

I was hardcore going to run 24/7 so I had my SWG wired to the pump breaker, with no timer. If the pump loses power, so does the SWG. In the off chance I lose prime, then the flow switch is the secondary safety mechanism on that rare occasion. Once in a blue moon is fine to use the flow switch. Running schedules without a timerwould be relying on it daily.

If you want to run a schedule with the pump, or the ability to go back and forth one day, then the swg needs its own timer to allow the pump to come on first, and go off last.

I’m leaning toward pump on low 24/7 (I like keeping my water skimmed and moving) and SWG for a few hours per day, and as you indicate, flow switch as a fail safe.

My pool power outlets and timer are all on same dedicated breaker, so if it flips, nothing out there will run.

I like having mine separate. Being able to adjust SWG runtime gives me another variable to adjust output.

I run my pump on low 12 hours per day (to coincide with when the sun is up, for solar panel heating). My SWG typically runs for 8 hours in the middle of that 12 hours.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.