Tools for Removing Calcium Deposits

Jul 10, 2014
Baton Rouge, LA
Well it's that time of year again for getting out the bottle of MA, a stiff nylon brush and plenty of elbow grease to try and knock down the calcium buildup that has formed on my stone/mortar since last Fall. What I'm trying to find is a GOOD (preferably metallic) brush and/or metallic scraper that will hold up (at least one season) to MA and actually knock down the calcium deposits more effectively than my normal brushes (this one and that one) and pumice stones I've tried up till now. I have a lot of stone where calcium likes to form even with keeping my CSI consistently (year round) between 0.3 and -0.4 (0 and -0.4 during cooler months). And if you're wondering, my MA mixture is a 3:1 (water:acid) ratio. I'd love to have a Hastelloy wire brush (if I could find/afford one), but maybe a 316 SS one (like these) would last a while. Please post any links to brushes or scrapers you have found work (without a ton of elbow grease) and will hold up to the MA (at least for a little while)...thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.