Too much SWG?

donivan

Mar 9, 2021
Houston
Hi, new pool owner here and new to the forum.
Am I throwing money away by getting a Cicupool CORE55 for a 12K-13K gallon pool or should I go with the CORE35 instead. I read it was recommended to get one 2-3x pool size. Also I'm in a Houston so it's hot most of the year. Appreciate any advice, thanks.

It's always best to have an SWG at least 2 times larger than the pool capacity. That prevents you form having to set it at or near 100% output. With a larger SWG, you should be able to use a lower daily output and hopefully get more service life out of it.

By the way ...... welcome to TFP! :wave:

Thanks for the welcome TX Splash. I bought a home with a pool and learning as fast as I can. My CYA levels are off scale high (>100) so draining (and acid washing) the pool so I figured adding a SWG at the same time would be a good idea. Seems like I can't go wrong with the larger Circupool CORE55.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Just ordered the CORE35 from discount salt, seemed like a good deal and should be enough for my 12K gallon pool. Also got some Pleatco filters and k-1766 salt drop test from Amazon. Next I need to figure out how to fix my Polaris cleaner since it keeps getting tangled...
Best fix for that is a new dolphin robot. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: donivan
Good choice getting that Core 35 instead of the Core55. You'd be just throwing extra money away. The Core35 is virtually 3x larger than your pool size, so that is more than plenty. Plus, I'm sure you like the extra $300 in your pocket.

Reactions: donivan
Core35 arrived today. Any issues mounting at an angle as shown in the picture? I looked through the installation guide and didn't see anything on this. The only thing I saw was a minimum of 6" straight pipe before the cell to ensure flow switch gets triggered. If this is not recommended then I can add some more PVC to get a horizontal install.

This leads me to a second question on the wiring. Looks like I can just plug it in and have it on all the time and the flow switch will activate the control module or I can hardwire into the filter pump so it only comes on when the pump is on. I'm thinking hardwire to the pump power is better for longevity...any thoughts?

IMG_0888.jpeg

Looks like I can just plug it in and have it on all the time and the flow switch will activate the control module
Hard wire it to the pump. The flow switch is the secondary fail safe and if the unit runs with no flow, the gasses build up and an explosion is possible. It’s rare and not house leveling, but it might cause collateral damage to the pad area.

Reactions: donivan and mguzzy
You want the flow switch with upwards flow. I can’t tell from the orientation of the pic but if the flow is downward, gravity might close the switch when there is no flow leading to problems.

if the unit is horizontal, then gravity is nuetral

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Honestly I thought all my stuff was pentair and I saw some questionable reviews on the pentair SWG. I then realized after I ordered that I have the Hayward controller but seems like the CircuPool CORE Series is easier to install/setup but I could be wrong.

welp.. take a look at that controller specs (if you have them, I see you just bought the house). I'm pretty sure it already includes the SWG controller, you just have to add the cell (and flow switch)... So you already have half the setup there. I have been using a Hayward tCell15 for 16 years and its still chugging along (I am on my second cell). I'm just going by whats in your sig.. can you post a pic of the controller?

16 years and still chugging sounds great! Here are some pics.
Is this what you have at the equipment pad controller?
and this from the installation manual:
Optional Chlorination Function
The PL-PS-4/8/16 models require the use of a chlorinator cell and plumbing kit to provide pool chlorination. These items are not included with the Pro Logic and can be purchased separately at your local Hayward dealer. Choose a chlorinator cell model based on the size of your pool. The following models are available:
T-CELL-15 for pools up to 40,000 gallons
T-CELL-9 for pools up to 25,000 gallons
T-CELL-3 for pools up to 15,000 gallons
In addition to the chlorinator cell, a plumbing kit (P-KIT) must be purchased. This kit contains the cell unions and flow switch. Refer to pages 11 and 21 for plumbing and wiring instructions.

If so, you can just plug in a Hayward SWG cell into your system, enable it and be able to manage in within your existing system. Looks like you already bought the Core35 so its your call if you try to exchange it for a T-Cell or go with what you just bought instead. Personally I would have gone with a Hayward cell, you already have the controller to support it, it would integrate with your existing system (I don't know if the Core35 will) and they have been an industry standard for a long time, so the parts are everywhere to be found. For your 12K pool a T-cell-9 or 15 would be perfect.

Edit: I just reread your post, you got your Core35 from DiscountSalt.. I'm pretty sure they will exchange it for you.

Last edited:
Thanks for you help Mark, I wouldn't mind a Hayward that integrates into my system but I'm not seeing any model numbers in the controller. Mine is about 10 years old, hear is another picture of the front with the box open. There's no description on the box...it's just looks like a circuit breaker box on the outside.

IMG_0895.jpeg

I tried to zoom into the pic of the inside of the door on your other post. But there wasn't enough resolution. Click on the link I provided to the Hayward Prologic website and click on the manuals tab. you can peruse the manuals and should be able to find your model
and

I bet you will find more info if you take the black panel off and look inside. It looks like a PL-PS-8 to me.

I think that may be my model. I opened it up and sure enough there's a 10 pin plug for the Salt Cell and a flow switch connector (see picture). I think this will make the installation much simpler since I don't have to make any dedicated power connections other than the 10 pin plug. Looks like I will need the flow switch as well. I think I'm going to go this route....thanks for the information!

Discountsaltpool doesn't have the Hayward cells but they do carry a replacement made by CircuPool with good reviews that should work: Replacement cell for Hayward/Aqua-rite T-15 | DSPIMG_0920.jpeg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.