Sacramento, ca
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
My pool service company added too much salt to my pool. It is reading 4000ppm. I believe the max is 3400ppm. The chlorinator will not work due to high salt amps. The now fired pool service company said I do not need to drain the pool. It will leave on it's own. (see her comment below). I believe that is very incorrect. can someone confirm?

You do not need to drain the pool water due to high salt level - that is only needed for high conditioner or CYA. The salt level will resolve naturally without you doing anything. All you need to do is keep testing the levels in case it needs more near the end of summer.

Even in a locale with plenty of rain, it takes several months to dip. Drain 10 to 15% and it should be OK.

Reactions: Oly
How are you measuring the salt level?

You should not believe the Aquarite salt reading. The Aquarite does not have a salt sensor. It calculates a salt level for a new cell based on its volts and amps. If the Aquarite is failing it can mislead you.

You need to be measuring salt with a Taylor K-1766 test kit or TFT Salt before you drain so you know how much you need to drain.

Also an Aquarite system should be run at the low end of its salt range. Around 3000 ppm. The higher the salt the greater the volts and amps causing more heat on the board and burning out components.

How are you measuring the salt level?

You should not believe the Aquarite salt reading. The Aquarite does not have a salt sensor. It calculates a salt level for a new cell based on its volts and amps. If the Aquarite is failing it can mislead you.

You need to be measuring salt with a Taylor K-1766 test kit or TFT Salt before you drain so you know how much you need to drain.

Also an Aquarite system should be run at the low end of its salt range. Around 3000 ppm. The higher the salt the greater the volts and amps causing more heat on the board and burning out components.

I also took my water to my local pool store and they tested it. Their reading was 3650, Aquarite was 4000

So what I am hearing is that you have to dilute the salt. I am not crazy and they Pool Service company is wrong. Unfortunately, our California rain season is over, so that idea is out. I did drain the pool down about 7 inches and refilled. I am not smart enough to know what percentage that is. I will take a sample back to the pool store to see where I am at. Thanks all.

Are you going to get another pool service ? (Spoiler alert, it always goes the same way)

We'd love to teach you how to do it on the cheap and easy. Like the $30 salt test kit that would have saved much aggravation here, and a couple trips to the pool store to get more aggravation.

Are you going to get another pool service ? (Spoiler alert, it always goes the same way)

We'd love to teach you how to do it on the cheap and easy. Like the $30 salt test kit that would have saved much aggravation here, and a couple trips to the pool store to get more aggravation.
No plan to ever get a pool service. I will do it myself. I trust my privately owned pool store (not Leslies) and they have never stirred me wrong. I have a few pool companies I trust for equipment issues. I do use this forum for help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No plan to ever get a pool service. I will do it myself
AWESOME !!! If you want it done right......:ROFLMAO:

To be fair to the good companies out there, they simply can't tend to the pool for the amount of money the customer is willing to pay. If you hit mega millions and had an honest company come every other day, I'm sure you'd fare alot better.

AWESOME !!! If you want it done right......:ROFLMAO:

To be fair to the good companies out there, they simply can't tend to the pool for the amount of money the customer is willing to pay. If you hit mega millions and had an honest company come every other day, I'm sure you'd fare alot better.
Understood, I know a business must make a profit. I just have not had good luck with any pool service companies in my area.

Good news is that after draining the pool down 7 inches, the salt is now at a resonable level. I am not looking forward to my water bill.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.