Tonedeaf's Pool build

Vegasmom said:
It's coming along so nicely..and fast! You should be able to get some good swimming in this season, right? Good luck with the rest of your build :goodjob:
Thank you. We should be able to swim until first part of October. Kind of slow now as the 2nd of our decking inspection failed again today. I guess part of this round of inspections includes plumbing as the pressure test failed once again. Plumbers will be out in the morning to find the leak we have. Was going so nicely, we would have had plaster by end of next week. Oh well, just a few more days to wait.

Failing a pressure test twice would make me suspicious of the competency of the PB. The plumbers should have pressurized the entire system as soon as they finished. Any large leaks would have been detected right then and there. Any small leaks would've been evident by the next day.

The system should remain under pressure for as long as possible to verify the integrity as long as possible. It is quite possible that a careless decking contractor could pound a form stake through your plumbing. You don't want to discover this after the decking is in place.

I re-read your OP and have another caution for you. Make sure the decking contractor digs out a little bit around the umbrella sleeves. You'll want more than the standard 3 1/2". I went about 10" in diameter and about 10" deep. Don't let the PB talk you out of it. It takes the PB about 30 seconds to do this.

cobra46 said:
Failing a pressure test twice would make me suspicious of the competency of the PB. The plumbers should have pressurized the entire system as soon as they finished. Any large leaks would have been detected right then and there. Any small leaks would've been evident by the next day.

The system should remain under pressure for as long as possible to verify the integrity as long as possible. It is quite possible that a careless decking contractor could pound a form stake through your plumbing. You don't want to discover this after the decking is in place.
I am confident with them, they have done everything without a hitch up till now. I do think it was a deck form stake that hit one of the lines. I had checked the pressure gauge several times and it was up until the decks were formed.

Plumbers haven't been able to come out due to rain. Nice pond we have coming along.

Plumbing and decking inspection approved this morning. Just need the rain to stop so we can get it poured. They will have to relay some sand before they do the actual pour. Will probably be first of next week to get it done as there is still some rain in our forecast. :(

Finally had some progress this morning. After waiting on the rain to dry up a bit and the builder to catch back up. We finally have our decking poured. The last few weeks had been very frustrating with 2 plumbing inspections failed and the rain that stopped us from doing anything. What a pain it was to let the dogs out on leashes to do their business in the front yard. Oy vay!! :rant:

This is when I left this morning for work, they had all of the concrete poured and were about to get ready to do the topping on it.

Decking1.jpg

Then, when I got home from work, I see this :mrgreen:

Decking6.jpg

Look at my concrete pond. Quite a few frogs have taken up residence in it. :lol:

Decking9.jpg

Decking8.jpg

We should have our final clean-up within the next 2 days and then I will be able to get the fence back up for inspection by the city and building superintendant says could have plaster by Wednesday of next week.

The super was out this morning during the pour and I gave him a small punch list of items I had talked to him about over the past few weeks, but hadn't been able to show him in person. One being a piece of my flagstone coping that has a low spot in it and water was collecting, you can see it in the picture below. Another being a small piece of flagstone that the grout around it is cracking.

Deck-Prep15.jpg

It's looking really great :goodjob: I love your decking. No one's gonna slip and fall around your pool :-D Regarding the cracks, don't be surprised when you see more. It's going to settle and you're going to get cracks. My experience with them (and I kind of have them everywhere) is that you can fix it, but it's usually going to come back. I've got 3 cracked pavers right outside my kitchen slider that lead out to the pool. Hubby says to wait a few years and then we can think about fixing them :? They couldn't be over in the corner somewhere, right?! There are cracks in the grout between some of them as well, and cracks in the joints in between the coping. My standard line now is "it gives everything character" :-D

Anyway, good luck with the rest and I can't wait to see it finished.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
landmark218 said:
TD: The deck looks great. I love how everything is coming together. I hope the weather holds out so you can get completed on schedule. Do you live anywhere along the gulf coast?

Thanks. I hope the weather holds out also. We are in Dallas area so not as much danger from the storm as gulf area is. Current forecasts only show 20% chance for us right now. We have the interior cleaning of the pool on Tuesday and Plaster will hopefully be on Wednesday.

Sorry in advance for the lenghty post. Will post some pics later this evening or tomorrow.

We are finally nearing completion. Last week after Hurricane Gilbert gave us a bit of rain and a lot of wind, we had our pool interior cleaned on Thursday of last week. Also completed was putting the fence back up and getting that inspected by the city.

Fast forward to Saturday and we were on the schedule for Plaster. 1pm rolls around and the plaster crew finally rolls up and they get working. 2.5 hours later they are done and the fill has begun. :D

The fill took about 17 hours total. We had the hose in back in addition to the hose that I ran from the front filling it. We left for a Ranger baseball game shortly after the fill started and I kept having thoughts during the game that the pool would be over flowing when we got home later that evening. :lol:

7am Sunday morning I start skimming off the top of the water to get all the Floaties out of the pool. By 830am or so the fill is done. My brother and his family were in town for the weekend and my 7yo nephew wakes up and comes outside where all the adults were and he wants to get in. The water really wasn't that bad.

We all had a great time yesterday and spent quite a few hours in the pool. It was nice that the weather cooperated with us for once.

Start up and Pool School is later this afternoon. I am excited to get the pumps started so I can begin brushing the plaster and get rid of some of the dust inside of the pool.

Builder needs to come back and complete my punch list of items that I gave him before they plastered. Retaining wall to be completed and a couple of coping and moss rock issues and a completion of the drainage I presented to him.

We have started the landscaping and will also be putting in a sprinkler system in the next 2 weeks or so.

I love it! I am stealing your waterfall if you don't mind. I have been trying to tell our PB about the flat rocks to make the waterfall more "rolling stream" rather than a long fall of water (if that makes sense) and yours is perfect!

WOuld you post a pix with the water going through the fall too? I am going to print it out and give it to my PB to build ours the same way.

Thanks! Katherine

Kath00 said:
I love it! I am stealing your waterfall if you don't mind. I have been trying to tell our PB about the flat rocks to make the waterfall more "rolling stream" rather than a long fall of water (if that makes sense) and yours is perfect!

WOuld you post a pix with the water going through the fall too? I am going to print it out and give it to my PB to build ours the same way.

Thanks! Katherine

I will get some pics with the water running up for you. They do need to fix the waterfall a bit though, the water favors the right side of it. Will see how that goes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.