Today I realized my Pentair IntelliChlor is still going strong at 14 years...

brian163

Gold Supporter
May 27, 2012
Northern NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I know from reading the forums that everyone's experience with the IntelliChlor durability and life span varies considerably. But 10,000 hours (from Pentair) and 5-7 years for use ~12 hours a day appears to be the referenced average.

Today I came to realize that my IC-40 was installed on my ~28,000 gl. pool in July 2009. I've seen at least one postings from someone who said theirs is also still going at ~10 years but the comment appeared to be met with a sense of disbelief.

This unit has been my primary, and with the exception of very occasional superchlorination, the only source of chlorine in my pool during this time period. For years I have repeatedly inspected the cell and found no need to clean it, despite my area (Northern NJ) having particularly harder water. (It builds up on every fixture in my house.) Running over the years on average a 10 to 12 hour filter cycle per day from late May to early Sept. These days I regularly keep my chlorine ~6ppm as related to the "TFP way" (using higher CYA levels).

It doesn't function perfectly, as for as long as I can remember, it hasn't done a good job of reading the current salt level. If my standards calibrated electronic salt meter says 2.8 (2800), the IntelliChlor is saying above 3500. (Being fickle to factors like water temp is expected but it's always outright incorrect.) And generally I don't raise the salt to the recommended 3400 (by electronic meter) because that causes the IC-40 to suggest the salt is then too high (although my understanding is the cell will continue to run anyway?).

Upon realizing this today I did a bit of research and discovered you can hold the "More" button on the unit to get a % of the 10,000 hour life expectancy. It came back 60%! (!!!) I can't help but think that clearly doesn't "add up" but in a sense, why do I care?

I'm not here to brag (or jinx myself!) but I feel like I've won some kind of pool equipment lottery with this unit? Or have more folks experienced this kind of longevity with the IntelliChlor than I realize? Obviously most people post when they have problems so that's not an accurate point of reference. And to the most experienced pool/SWG/water chemistry experts here, is this the crazy anomaly I think it is? Do any of the parameters I've shared potentially explain how this unit has lasted so much longer than the average (expected)?

Part of what led me to looking up the age of the unit is that I saw one come up for sale and I thought, "Maybe I should replace it soon? Or at least buy a backup? I know it has been working for "awhile" (LOL) and replacing it would finally address the salt reading problem." But now, I feel like I wouldn't dare replace this unit before it fails. It could be on track to outlast the 30 year old pool it's serving!

Brian

10 years of SWG usage in NJ is equal to 5 years in FL and 3 years in AZ.

You run your SWG less then 6 months out of the year in NJ and are at a more Northern latitude and has less FC loss from UV.

You are getting the expected life from the IC40.

Can you show the sticker on the back of the cell?
Sure, I'll take one in the morning.
10 years of SWG usage in NJ is equal to 5 years in FL and 3 years in AZ.

You run your SWG less then 6 months out of the year in NJ and are at a more Northern latitude and has less FC loss from UV.

You are getting the expected life from the IC40.
Hello fellow New Jersian! :) Yes, I assumed that was at least part of the equation compared to the "in years" averages but by the 10,000 hours reference it didn't seem like the math still worked out. (I guess I really have to do that math now. :unsure: )
I guess today was finally the day that being a pool owner born, raised, and living out my days in NJ (and not FL or AZ) finally paid a dividend for me. :laughblue:

Reactions: JamesW
You only have your pool open about 120 days a year compared to those who run it for 300 days a year or more.

Over the season my pool average 2 to 2.5ppm of FC/day while pools down South can use 3-4ppm or more of FC per day.

That all puts much less usage on the SWG cell.

There are some of us who appreciate the benefits of the Northeast and are not fleeing South. And with climate change NJ has a nicer environment then many other places.

I shoveled enough snow and mowed enough grass in my first 1/4 century of life on the east coast … more than enough for me. Yes it’s hot and dry here in the desert southwest but, if you’re willing to put up with that for 3 months or so, then you get 9 months of beautiful weather and never need a sweater, or a coat, or a shovel, or an umbrella ever again. I’ll take that trade off …

As for IC lifetimes, my first IC was an IC-40 and it lasted 8 years. My pool is “open” all year round and the IC runs from early March to late November. Generation times run from as little as 2 hours per day all the way up to 10 hours per day and my output is generally between 25-40%. When the cold water cut off engages, I need about 2 gallons of liquid chlorine in total to get through the “cold” months. SWGs are a no-brainer to pool maintenance and everyone that gets one kicks themselves for not doing it sooner.

Reactions: wireform and JamesW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.