To purchase a 24' or 27' AGP

HOTHOTDOG2

Jul 26, 2022
NEWPORT NEWS
Hi, I've had a 18' foot pool before in the past before my fiancé and I met so she's not all that familiar with AGP as far as what it feels like when you have more than 2 people in it and what you can and cant do, she's use to the public size due to her swimming competitions. She wants the 24'(just to float around in when its just us) and I want the 27', the cost is not that much so that's not an issue, she's not trying to have people just want to come over to just be in the pool. I have some of my children here along with my siblings, she has her parents here and family visits(blue moon style)and I don't want to have a pool going, I wish it was the bigger one, I feel that 27' is enough and I need your opinions. Thank you in advance.

We had a 27' x 4.5' AG pool and loved it. It was just the two of us, so we had lots of room. Maybe because I am a guy but if you got the room, bigger is always better (with TVs, sheds, etc.). Heck, when we had our IG pool built, I made sure that it was as least as large as our AG was.

Granted we have a 1 acre lot and have plenty of room.

We have a half acre with woods on the back section and the lot is in the shape of a rectangle plenty of space for a 27' but fiancé wants the smaller(should add that a 21' was on the table and she says the 24' is a compromise), I know I would enjoy the additional room because of having an 18' and you couldn't do much of anything in it, you might have one floating island, lol.

I have read my fair share of posts at TFP. I have also read several other people's fair share of posts.

I have yet to see one regret of going too large. Even with just one person, the floating space is nice. With several people, which can easily happen on a whim without having a 'party', it's even nicer.

Reactions: Decoy205
I intended to get a 27’ for several reasons but they were sold out- so 33’ it was! I felt 24’ was just too small - I had been in a couple. I like having enough space to float when the kids are splashing around.
For The 33’ liner choices are limited & so are covers- along with the fact that they cost more when needed. The local mom & pop guy recommended no bigger than 27’ for that reason along with fact the pole won’t reach all the way across but I don’t think I could vac a 27’ without getting in it either since I’m short. The place I got my 33’ from beat the other place’s 27’ price by a mile so I figured that would buy quite a few replacement covers. An oasis really can’t be too big lol 😂
Also, I wanted a 54” wall - i had a 48” wall before & my kids were growing like weeds so I wanted to be sure it would last through the teen years.

Here's my take on it ... It depends on what you plan to do with it, how many people will be in it normally and how much are you willing to spend on it. This is with the assumption that you can place any size pool in the area.

We have made the decision to replace the 24 foot pool we had with another 24 foot pool. We don't entertain, it'll probably be just my wife and myself most of the time and we just float and drink in it. We did court the idea of a 16 x3 2 inground pool but we felt it wasn't worth it for us. I did ask the pool store how much a 54 inch high pool was vs 52 inches and they said another $1000, again not worth it for us. With that said I do realize that a person's/couple's needs are vastly different than ours.

I have an '18 foot pool, love everything about it. Plenty big enough for 6+ adults to hang out and enjoy beverages, 2 adults to float around soaking up the sun. If I had the space I would go bigger. As big as I could fit.

I have a 27'

It is hard for my wife to clean without getting into it. I have no issues doing so, but then I am 6'4"

Things for a 27' pool cost more than things for a smaller pool (as is the case with any pool. A 27' is a bit of an oddball size too. You can get 27' liners (of course) but for winter covers and solar covers you can usually only find 26' and 28' so you either pay for more than you need, or live with too small cover.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We have a 28ft, because our neighbors said their 30-something was hard to buy stuff for. The 28 is great, but if we had it to do again, we'd go bigger. If he walks the rail, my husband can reach the center (and in to the deep section) to vac when we're opening without any trouble. If we went bigger, he says it would still be fine from the rail, but the robot manages it most of the time anyway (we love our robot!).

We used spray chalk to map out where the pool was going to go. Maybe try that to see the difference - throw some pool floats in the circles to see how they fit - and then know that it will feel smaller when you're in it.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.