Silver Supporter
Apr 9, 2020
Gold Canyon AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I've left my pool to a new pool guy for the summer while I'm "home" in Oregon. I've been gone 2 weeks.
He tells me I have an algae problem (haven't had one in 4 years) and that he needs to add Pool Perfect Phosfree WEEKLY! Does this sound right in the Mesa area? I admit, I've never tested for phosphates but have never had any problems following the TFP method. What's wrong with this picture?

He obviously doesn't know what he's doing. Have him provide you a full set of test results, and you tell him how to proceed.

Phos-free will build up in your cartridge filter. He should not keep adding it.

What is or was the sanitation plan with the new pool guy?
Standard Cl and pH monitoring and brushing. I would expect reports of anything else out of line, thus the phosphate alert. I just don't think we have the conditions present (decaying leaves, fertilizer runoff, etc) in Arizona. This occurred in TWO WEEKS after two years of maintaining it myself with no phosphate problems.

How are you chlorinating? Still using chlorine with pool guy? He need to be checking FC daily, or at least every two days and replacing to keep FC for your CYA...Link-->FC/CYA Levels

Last edited:
Standard Cl and pH monitoring and brushing. I would expect reports of anything else out of line, thus the phosphate alert. I just don't think we have the conditions present (decaying leaves, fertilizer runoff, etc) in Arizona. This occurred in TWO WEEKS after two years of maintaining it myself with no phosphate problems.
How was "standard FC and PH monitoring and brushing" defined?
Was it once a week, every other day or daily? What were his instructions on how to raise FC.
I assume you are paying a fee for his services. This may be going sideways fast.

You can manage a SWG from afar once it's dialed in if you need a long term solution. You could have the service person tell you the #s and advise them if you want the SWG adjusted.

The weekly pool service way with Liquid Chlorine / tabs, on the other hand, is how most people find their way here. Yours took 2 weeks.

How are you chlorinating? Still using chlorine with pool guy? He need to be checking FC daily, or at least every two days and replacing to keep FC for your CYA...Link-->FC/CYA Levels
He's a once a week pool guy who must use the devil tabs to keep Cl up. There is no way I can get someone there every day or even every other day. I'll go back to my liquid Cl when I get back there.

How was "standard FC and PH monitoring and brushing" defined?
Was it once a week, every other day or daily? What were his instructions on how to raise FC.
I assume you are paying a fee for his services. This may be going sideways fast.
He will be there once a week which is standard there for a pro pool guy. He charges $110/month.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You can manage a SWG from afar once it's dialed in if you need a long term solution. You could have the service person tell you the #s and advise them if you want the SWG adjusted.

The weekly pool service way with Liquid Chlorine / tabs, on the other hand, is how most people find their way here. Yours took 2 weeks.
I had a SWG on my last pool and liked it. I just haven't switched over this pool yet.

Reactions: Newdude
I've left my pool to a new pool guy for the summer while I'm "home" in Oregon. I've been gone 2 weeks.
He tells me I have an algae problem (haven't had one in 4 years) and that he needs to add Pool Perfect Phosfree WEEKLY! Does this sound right in the Mesa area? I admit, I've never tested for phosphates but have never had any problems following the TFP method. What's wrong with this picture?
Speaking of phosphates...why has this not been addressed under the Pool School chemical instructions and why does the big (can't remember the number) Taylor test kit not have a regent to test for phosphates? The stuff the pool guy had me order is PhosFree. Will this cause problems if he add it every week? I have followed the TFP system religiously since I've owned a pool and have experienced no issues. I'm pi$$ed.

I just haven't switched over this pool yet.
It's time to make the switch.

Get the SWG installed and then tell the maintenance person where you want the chemistry balanced and that you want a full chemistry report every time.

If you get algae, the person is incompetent.

Most pool service people are terrified about going over 5 ppm on the FC because the industry says not to ever go over 5ppm.

I they do go over 5 ppm, then they are potentially at risk if anything happens that someone blames on the "excessive" chlorine.

A lawyer just has to show that you reported keeping the FC at 10 ppm while the industry says to never exceed 5 ppm.

It does not matter that keeping the FC at 10 ppm was the right thing to do, all that matters is what the industry says.

Speaking of phosphates...why has this not been addressed under the Pool School chemical instructions and why does the big (can't remember the number) Taylor test kit not have a regent to test for phosphates? The stuff the pool guy had me order is PhosFree. Will this cause problems if he add it every week? I have followed the TFP system religiously since I've owned a pool and have experienced no issues. I'm pi$$ed.
As I mentioned in post #3, PhosFree will clog your filter. It is not meant to be added regularly. It is meant to sit in the filter while it supposedly removes phosphates and its instructions say to clean the filter after the PhosFree has been in there for 48 hours. It also says not to add more than 1.5 L (48 oz) at a time. If more than that is needed, the filter must be cleaned between applications. Maybe your pool guy can't read. See the instructions below, especially the yellow highlighted portions.

So I recommend you have your guy stop using PhosFree and have him clean the filter cartridges. Have him send you photos of cartridges before and after cleaning.

pp.jpg

Taylor has a Phosphate test, the K-1106. Why are you assuming the pool guy is correct about his diagnosis and his "action plan"? If, big if, the Phosphates levels are high, treating them now will not clear your pool of algae. The SLAM Process is needed now.
What is your current CYA ppm? What is pool guy's FC test results over the past few weeks? I would suspect your FC fell well below your minimum for your CYA, FC/CYA Levels and now you have an algae bloom. You would be in this same situation if you checked your pool only once a week in May. You should be livid, you are on a vacation and are now having to deal with this runaway train.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.