To lower water level or not...

Flbeachluvr

Bronze Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Port Orange, FL
For those who live in climates that get a lot of rain do you lower the water level in your pool when it gets too high? We are in Central Florida and have been having to add water most of the winter. Our rainy season has hit with a vengeance and last night the water level in our pool was almost to the top of the tile. In past experience at this water level the skimming action is nil. My husband thinks we should just leave it and when we have a few hot days it will lower quickly (no screen enclosure and direct sunlight all day) however we are forecast to get several more days of rain this week.

Thoughts?

I lower mine so the skimmer works correctly.

That's my first inclination but I keep thinking of all those times I had to fill it manually and the extra $$ on my water bill. We are getting quite a bit of rain right now while I'm at work so I'm thinking it's going to be close to overflowing when I get home. In that case I'll go ahead and lower it. It's kind of a pain as I have to attach a garden hose to the cartridge filter hose bib and run a hose back towards our retention pond.

That's my first inclination but I keep thinking of all those times I had to fill it manually and the extra $$ on my water bill. We are getting quite a bit of rain right now while I'm at work so I'm thinking it's going to be close to overflowing when I get home. In that case I'll go ahead and lower it. It's kind of a pain as I have to attach a garden hose to the cartridge filter hose bib and run a hose back towards our retention pond.

I understand the concern about the water bill, but adding water to make up an inch or two when it gets low doesn't cost very much. At least not in Arkansas, water here is cheap - and I have a separate water meter for the pool/sprinklers. Having said that, if you don't notice a lot of debris on the top of the water when the water level is high, let it be. As a side note, last year we had a very hot, very dry spell and I lost water fairly quickly. Some of that was due to evaporation but the main problem was a leaky spider gasket. It was causing me to lose water slowly out the backwash pipe. If you lose a lot of water, double check to make sure you don't have a leak.

I understand the concern about the water bill, but adding water to make up an inch or two when it gets low doesn't cost very much. At least not in Arkansas, water here is cheap - and I have a separate water meter for the pool/sprinklers. Having said that, if you don't notice a lot of debris on the top of the water when the water level is high, let it be. As a side note, last year we had a very hot, very dry spell and I lost water fairly quickly. Some of that was due to evaporation but the main problem was a leaky spider gasket. It was causing me to lose water slowly out the backwash pipe. If you lose a lot of water, double check to make sure you don't have a leak.

I'm pretty sure we don't have a leak. The pool isn't screened, gets direct sun all day and we live in a new neighborhood without a lot of trees so no wind breaks.

You can always drain it to water landscape, but if you had a lot of rain the plants probably don't need it now either. You could also get a rain barrel and fill it with excess and use at later time.

Living in the desert, I wish I had this problem.

You can always drain it to water landscape, but if you had a lot of rain the plants probably don't need it now either. You could also get a rain barrel and fill it with excess and use at later time.

Living in the desert, I wish I had this problem.

We have a SWG so I can't water the plants with it. Plus you are correct in that they don't need it anyway. Our yard backs up to a retention pond so I just run a hose out my back fence and drain onto the bank.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.