Bronze Supporter
Apr 15, 2020
Pageland SC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hey y'all. I live in SC,and we have a 20x40 in ground vinyl liner pool.

Not this past fall but the previous fall we put a new liner in. I've been maintaining this pool for 5 or 6 years now, and it came with a nice safety cover that has the spring loaded anchors in the concrete deck around it.

After the first two seasons we quit covering the pool I'm winter. It's tough for us to wrestle the cover on and off the pool, and the last season I used the cover I uncovered it to find a green swampy mess.

Since we've left it uncovered and used our robot to keep it clean. I can see the condition of the water so it's harder to forget about and let it go green.

However, I do wonder about going back to covering now that we have a new liner. I know that sun is one of the biggest killers to a liner, but the sun is also more indirect in winter. What say you all? Will covering during winter and only during winter make any appreciable difference in the life of the liner?

Follow the guides below closing late & opening early (with water 60 degrees or lower) and you shouldn’t need to worry about a green monster.

Thank you. I keep the robot going in the pool, and maintain low free chlorine levels. I try to keep a trichlor puck in the pool through winter. It's just that sometimes, out of sight out of mind! 😄😬

We still have periods where temps get into the 60s and 70s, and I have to make sure to pay attention then.

It is always a decision to cover or not in the "inbetween" states like SC, NC etc.

I left mine uncovered for the reasons you stated. The cover will have VERY LITTLE affect on the life of your liner. I suggest you keep it open year round. Don't forget to test from time to time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.