to be or not to be (or how can this be...)

CamiS

Gold Supporter
May 22, 2022
Massachusetts
We opened the pool yesterday and it was full of leaves and debris. After removing the leaves, water was clear but the bottom & walls were covered in a greenish thing , once I brushed it the whole water became cloudy and green. Assumed algae and SLAMed the pool (CYA 40, brought Alk to 75 & ph to 7.3 and then raised FC to 17.5 last night). This morning we woke up to a perfectly blue and clear pool (easy to tell as our liner is light colored, almost white) , some debris on the bottom (that looked and felt like a black sand - we resanded our patio earlier in spring so we had a lot of that in the pool). I retested the water and I am puzzled - FC is exactly at the same level as last night, it didn't drop even 0.5... and I have a max 0.5 CC.... I use a Taylor K2006-C test kit (FAS-DPD) and know how to use it (this is our second year taking care of our pool and I kept it nice and clear all last season using it). How can this be? What am I missing? Is it possible to not have had algae to begin with ?

Yep. Sounds a lot like when I open. If u r passing oclt and everything is clear; don’t fight it and enjoy.

Ive told myself that the water is cold when i open so the algae thats there isn’t fighting that hard to stick around. No idea if that idea has any merit but its my story and i am sticking to it

Yep. Sounds a lot like when I open. If u r passing oclt and everything is clear; don’t fight it and enjoy.

Ive told myself that the water is cold when i open so the algae thats there isn’t fighting that hard to stick around. No idea if that idea has any merit but its my story and i am sticking to it
It is very cold outside now, indeed... (47 to be precise, we're in MA and I opened it as we had over 60s the previous week and felt it is time ...)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.