Toronto
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
I switched to controlmatic SWCG ever since I got the hot tub new and I’ve been burning thru heater elements every 6-7 months. First 3-4 were replaced under warranty but now that the warranty has expired it’s getting costly to replace. The last heater element only lasted 4 months.

I’ve even lowered the salt to around 1500ppm.

The only thing I don’t do is use it often enough that the pH tends to drift high for extended periods.

I did have CYA around 30ppm for the first year but stopped adding that.

I drain and refill twice a year.

Am surprised not seeing more people running into this issue…

Are you using any MPS or dry acid in your tub? Sulfates will destroy heaters quickly.

Also, most repair shops will opt to install the cheapest heater they can find, typically a low grade stainless steel. If you want a long heater life with higher salinity water, then you need to use a titanium heater element.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Only Two things I can gather from what you’ve mentioned:
Regularly High ph = potential for scale, bad for heaters
No cya = harsh fc, rough on all surfaces & equipment

You didn’t mention what fc level you’re generally running or if the swcg is in line or drape over.
If its a drape over are you hiding it in the filter compartment?
If its an inline setup do you have a continuous circulation pump?
Do you have some recent test results you can share?
Fwiw - i have a cheepo lifesmart roto molded tub that’s 5 years old & have had 2500-3000 ppm of salt in it for the whole time, still on the same heater/pump. It’s most certainly not titanium.
Don’t be so quick to blame the salt.

Reactions: Bperry
How do you test your water and how often? And what do you usually add? That might be helpful information. What were your last readings? Also when warranty was fulfilled, what did they say caused the issue?

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.