Tired of not using the pool

reluctantchemist said:
Update: ARRGgggHhhhh!!! I give up. Mother Nature hates me. It's been disgustingly humid and we've had heavy downpours at least once a day for the past 4 days. Had to raise the level on Friday, then backwash it back out on Saturday, Sunday, & Monday. Filter outlet shorted out and had to have the electrician to fix it. Meanwhile I've diligently kept the FC at 15 as often as I can. Hubby gets in to vacuum & brush as often as weather permits. Water is still a pretty hazy light teal. I've gone through 24 182oz jugs of Chlorox since 7/23. I wake up and run out to test the pool, back to the sun...when there is sun, for CYA. I run out in the dark, I know where every bush is on a moonless night, to test before I go to bed. I ordered a Hayward Aqua Critter, hopefully it will help. I guess I was hoping for a minor miracle and I'm sure I'm not alone praying to the pool gods every night. Frustrated in New York :rant:

I know what you mean. I am fighting an algae problem myself and have used a ton of bleach. One thing I am confused about is why you need sun to test your CYA? Only test that would think would need sun to check would be the pH test to see the colors.

So sorry you're having a hard time getting your pool cleared up. I understand the rain! We've been in such a drought & up until Sunday had had nice clean water... Sunday afternoon a crazy wicked rain. I wasn't home but the neighbor said it rained in circles like he'd never seen before. Pool was full of leaves and debris and have had a couple of smaller storms since that have also dropped a bunch of stuff in the pool. Doing my best to stay on top of it to avoid any problems myself right now. We are glad for the rain.. but the pool isn't!

Hopefully the rain will hold off for you for a bit so you can get a handle on things. I hope your filter shorting out didn't stall your progress too much!

I know what it's like to run out in the evenings and mornings to do your FC tests... no fun, but worth the progress you will eventually see. Keep your patience... here's hoping you turn the corner soon!

Had a few bogus readings doing them in the bathroom. Obviously natural light is better. Someone suggested keeping the sun at my back, I'll try anything at this point. Got power, got a creepy crawly thing to vacuum daily, got 24 hrs with no rain, hopefully tomorrow will be the beginning of the end! Hopeful in NY

Well Pool Mavens, I give up :cry: I fought the pool and the pool won. After 4 weeks of religously testing and dumping in chlorine to keep the FC at 15, I still have light teal water that I can't see the Aqua Critter in. With all the heavy rain we've had the temp has dropped to 67, so one would have wanted to go in any way. Tomorrows annual BBQ, the one I was trying to get the pool in order for, has been rescheduled for the end of September due to an awful weather forcast. By that time the pool will be tucked away for the winter using TFP's instructions. Thank you all for your advice and support and hopefully I'll be in better shape in the spring than I've been, though I'll not be closing a clean pool, it is better than it's been. See you in the spring :wink: Lisa

So sad! Well, good luck next year anyhow... and thanks for sharing your story with us.

I too am fighting "the good fight" against some very, very well established algae colonists here in North San Francisco Bay Area... three weeks in and the water remains milky white cloudy and impossible to even see the second step. Just decided to raise the FC again (14->20) due to increasing CYA a smidge (~33). All in all its been very tiresome and I've about given up a couple times already. Sooo much bleach sweat and tears! ;)

Take care!

reluctantchemist said:
Well Pool Mavens, I give up :cry: I fought the pool and the pool won. After 4 weeks of religously testing and dumping in chlorine to keep the FC at 15, I still have light teal water that I can't see the Aqua Critter in. With all the heavy rain we've had the temp has dropped to 67, so one would have wanted to go in any way. Tomorrows annual BBQ, the one I was trying to get the pool in order for, has been rescheduled for the end of September due to an awful weather forcast. By that time the pool will be tucked away for the winter using TFP's instructions. Thank you all for your advice and support and hopefully I'll be in better shape in the spring than I've been, though I'll not be closing a clean pool, it is better than it's been. See you in the spring :wink: Lisa

Aww Lisa, sorry to hear this. We will help you get on and stay on the right track next year. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for your condolences :lol: I just sent the hubby out for a filter sock to see if that may help clear things up. Not losing much FC overnight, CC has been around 1, maybe particulate matter is too fine for the sand to filter. Worth a try. I guess I'm not really ready to give up the ghost, even though we won't be swimming this season. I'm still determined to get a handle on this thing. Besides, I still have 2 jugs of Chlorox left :wink: With my luck by the time I do, the pool will collapse as it's 16+ yrs. old! :roll:

Reluctantchemist,
I just found your thread and have enjoyed reading it, watching your progress unfold. I know It's years later, but I'm wondering if you ever got this cleared up. You seem like a very determined person, so I imagine you didn't stop till you did. ;)

How did the saga unfold, did you beat it?
Myself as well as others I'm sure, would love to hear the rest of your tale.

Do tell!
Thanks and happy pool from TFP!! :mrgreen:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.