Atlanta
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
First time pool owner and first time going through a winter with a pool. We're in north Georgia near Atlanta.

As far as I know we don't have any freeze safeties on our equipment and we have a single-speed pump and a booster pump.

Since we don't have something to trigger our pump when it gets below freezing, do we just run the pump 24/7 and turn down the SWG output?

Do I need to constantly run the robot so our booster pump runs too?

Is there anything else we need to do or consider?

Thanks

First time pool owner and first time going through a winter with a pool. We're in north Georgia near Atlanta.

As far as I know we don't have any freeze safeties on our equipment and we have a single-speed pump and a booster pump.

Since we don't have something to trigger our pump when it gets below freezing, do we just run the pump 24/7 and turn down the SWG output?

Do I need to constantly run the robot so our booster pump runs too?

Is there anything else we need to do or consider?

Thanks
The SWG won’t make any chlorine below about 50-55F so watch out for that during the winter. If the pool water doesn’t freeze during the winter you may not need to do anything else that far south. Running the pump 24x7 might help get you through a cold couple days. That’s all on “normal” winters. We had a crazy cold one last year up here so who knows.

Reactions: dcp063
So add bleach as needed?
Correct. Just be sure to have a Plan B should the weather take a nasty turn for the worst. Power outages are what drives action to protect the equipment. As long as water is moving you should be fine. When you see bad weather approaching, have some items available that may come in handy like tarps, outdoor blankets, pipe insulation wrap, all of which could buy you some time if the power does go out and you need to drain the equipment during a power outage.

@YippeeSkippy is from your area, so she may have some additional thoughts.

It's really important to learn how to drain your equipment pad before winter. If power goes out, water
isn't moving and pipes and equipment freeze. Damage costs can be high. Ask us Texans that went
through it a few years ago! Do a practice run, or at least know what steps to follow.

Turn off main breaker to pool. (Don't want it coming on when system is drained ).
Release filter pressure.
Find and remove plugs in pump and filter to drain water. (Tip: Store plugs in pump basket).
Put liter bottles 1/2 filled with RV/Marine anti freeze (safer in pool water if they break) into skimmers to prevent
ice freezing that causes expansion damage. Can also use chunks of pool noodles.
Tarp the equipment pad.

Others may have additional suggestions but this saved my pool several times and it survived some brutal
conditions without damage. It's good that you're planning ahead! Welcome to TFP!

The only thing I would add to what @Lilypad listed is as follows
The main Pump have 2 drain plugs - both are low close to ground - 1 below the basket and the other below the impeller housing.
If you have a heater - that also has a drain plug - look near the inlet pipe close to ground.

Reactions: Newdude and Lilypad
Thanks everyone. I’m going to do a dry run and hope I don’t need to do anything this winter.
I think leaving the pool open over winter is risky, and a waste of money on unnecessary electric. Why not just winterize it? Doesnt seem like its worth the risk leaving it open. It DOES get cold in the Atlanta area. Many nights under freezing, days also. Btw, Im on LI, NY. Been winterizing my pool the last 9 years. Not really a big deal. I will be joining you in Jan, moving to the senoia GA area. Good luck if your gonna leave it open.

Last edited:
Doesnt seem like its worth the risk leaving it open. It DOES get cold in the Atlanta area. Many nights under freezing, days also
Not like up north. If they go below freezing for a spell, it's likely only a little, and quick.

When it does dip below freezing, it takes time for the 40 degree pool to cool off enough and if any ice forms at all, it's a thin layer because it's already warming up by then.

So long as there is power, the running pool won't freeze down south. Draining the equipment is the backup plan in case of an extended power outage in the 20s. The ground insulates the buried pipes so as long as anything exposed is empty, there's no issues.

Reactions: dcp063 and suzook

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Not like up north. If they go below freezing for a spell, it's likely only a little, and quick.

When it does dip below freezing, it takes time for the 40 degree pool to cool off enough and if any ice forms at all, it's a thin layer because it's already warming up by then.

So long as there is power, the running pool won't freeze down south. Draining the equipment is the backup plan in case of an extended power outage in the 20s. The ground insulates the buried pipes so as long as anything exposed is empty, there's no issues.
The thing is, the pool is not being used for at least 4 months. I understand a later closing/early opening, but me personally, will winterize my future pool in GA. Just my personal opinion obviously.

Reactions: Newdude
Just my personal opinion obviously.
There's many ways to skin this cat and nobody is wrong. :)

My pool is obnoxiously front and center at our dinner table. I was mad I closed last year up here and didn't need to when it was a warm winter. Lol. I could have looked at the pool the whole winter instead of the gray trampoline.

Reactions: suzook
Here in NC, I do close my pool but usually have to wait to late November for the water to drop below 60F. Since I cover it with a safety cover to keep leaves and the dogs out, I see it as an unnecessary electricity expense to keep running the pump. I don't do anything fancy. Just drain the equipment pad and put Gizmos in the skimmers. No blowing out lines and antifreeze.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.