Silver Supporter
Aug 9, 2020
Carefree AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My Polaris 380 was working great (rpms/pressure/backup valve/etc) except that each morning the wheels would get stuck (not move). I could pull it out the water, give it a turn and it would get going. Every article on wheels that wouldn’t turn had me making sure the wheels all turn together to check for a broken belt. They all turned together so I never opened it up! This morning I couldn’t nudge them. They were frozen. Took it apart and found that the belts were frayed with loose threads that were getting caught up in the pulleys. Old belts that were not 100% plastic (some sort of fabric backing).

Followed this YouTube video and replaced the belts and the 380 wheels are spinning.

Variation on the video: I could not get the wheel carriage off of the Polaris base (could not shimmy up and off the leaf bag “tube”). I just completed the rest of the steps anyway. Went just fine and there were fewer steps to put it back together.

Last edited:
Reactions: YippeeSkippy
My Polaris has always had intermittent bouts of splashing my patio windows. It seems to be worse when the buggy is running really well going up and down the walls and/or the sponge on the scrubber is worn down.

I’ve read about a Polaris Tail Sweep Pro which retails for about $35 that diffuses the water being pumped through the tail. It gets good reviews! Decided to give the Tomlend Tail Sweep Pro Scrubber a try (retails for $21). So far so good!!

Reactions: HermanTX
This is for people with older 380 Polaris units. Older units because the problems have to do with deteriorating fabric-backed belts and old broken zip-ties.

About six months ago I opened my 380 up (wheels not turning) and discovered that my really old belts were frayed (strings getting stuck in wheels) and I also found pieces of the old zip-ties. I replaced the belts (I posted my method in TFP) and threw away all the pieces of the zip ties. I did not replace the zip-ties. Put it back together. Ran perfectly for the last six months. Perfectly.

About two weeks ago the wheels stopped turning. I just couldn’t figure out why. I did find that the basket at the pump needed to be cleaned which resulted in better pressure but the wheels were still not turning. Opened up the carriage, turned it upside down, banged it on the table a few times and a little teeny piece of the zip-tie fell out…now the wheels turn.

If your Polaris is working great and the wheels stop abruptly… don’t be afraid to take it apart first. There are only three screws that have to be removed in order to see the inside of the carriage. Just be certain to take a black marker and mark the position of your jet and your ballast so that you can put them right back to those perfect positions. This will save you the time-sink of experimenting to get it right again.

Attachments

• IMG_9941.jpeg
    IMG_9941.jpeg
    302.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Reactions: Newdude
My Polaris has always had intermittent bouts of splashing my patio windows. It seems to be worse when the buggy is running really well going up and down the walls and/or the sponge on the scrubber is worn down.

I’ve read about a Polaris Tail Sweep Pro which retails for about $35 that diffuses the water being pumped through the tail. It gets good reviews! Decided to give the Tomlend Tail Sweep Pro Scrubber a try (retails for $21). So far so good!!
6 months since installment and the after-market tail scrubber is a 100% improvement. No splashing.

Reactions: Newdude
Thanks for info. If I can ask - can you update/edit your title with proper model number, as your signature indicates that you have a 380 model cleaner. To my knowledge, Polaris makes models 180, 280, 360 and 380 in addition to several other models that use a tail sweep. This will help if someone is searching for a specific model. I have read those devices do work so glad yours is functioning.

Thanks for info. If I can ask - can you update/edit your title with proper model number, as your signature indicates that you have a 380 model cleaner. To my knowledge, Polaris makes models 180, 280, 360 and 380 in addition to several other models that use a tail sweep. This will help if someone is searching for a specific model. I have read those devices do work so glad yours is functioning.
Hi. I noticed that today, too. To be honest I am not sure. I bought this house 36 years ago and the Polaris came with it. I think I bought a new housing about 15 years ago. I just looked at the different models. It’s a 380. I’ll go fix.

Once the foam on that Polaris clone wears out the end will not work properly. Try this on your Polaris and never look back, the Swasher. Get the entire hose for ease of installation. Mine's been going strong for 2+ years with no issues.

Once the foam on that Polaris clone wears out the end will not work properly. Try this on your Polaris and never look back, the Swasher. Get the entire hose for ease of installation. Mine's been going strong for 2+ years with no issues.
Hi. Thanks. I saw that product but opted out due to concerns about abrasiveness on my pebbletec pool surface. You are right about the foam tail. They wear fairly quickly too.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.