Tiny bugs in pool after rain

rocketx2

Gold Supporter
Feb 16, 2023
Birmingham, AL
After it rains I have tiny bugs in my pool. They cluster along the waterline and when I skim them out with the net they float into the pool in clumps. My pool guy doesn't know what they are, my pest control guy doesn't know what they are. The internet says they're Springtails but I don't think that's right. Anybody got any ideas?

Attachments

• PXL_20230704_001105131.jpg
    PXL_20230704_001105131.jpg
    399.6 KB · Views: 33
  • PXL_20230704_001208772.jpg
    PXL_20230704_001208772.jpg
    535.3 KB · Views: 34
Looks like springtails to me.

Get some Bifen, or better Cyzmic. Find out where they are coming from. Typically some damp areas around. Spray your deck around the pool and the area they are originating from. It may take multiple applications.

Looks like springtails to me.

Get some Bifen, or better Cyzmic. Find out where they are coming from. Typically some damp areas around. Spray your deck around the pool and the area they are originating from. It may take multiple applications.
I had springtails last week this week its clusters of yellow aphids from pecan tree next door. Any suggestion on using lo-chlor no more bugs or glb bug out? Will borax do the same and do less damage to pool?

I had springtails last week this week its clusters of yellow aphids from pecan tree next door. Any suggestion on using lo-chlor no more bugs or glb bug out? Will borax do the same and do less damage to pool?
NoMor Bugs and Bug Out reduce surface tension and don't allow bugs to float. They sink and drown. Borax (borate) doesn't do that.

Reactions: newbie919
Many have used a cup of Dawn dish soap to break surface tension, causing the bugs to drown. It's been reported that the bubbles will subside quickly.

Realistically, the bugs will eventually drown anyways. The key to eradication of springtails is locating their nesting areas and eliminating them. I've had little luck in doing so myself. I have tried bifen-based Talstar P insecticide which completely eliminated all pests, with the exception of springtails. No luck with Onslaught either.

Last edited:
Reactions: newbie919
Many have used a cup of Dawn dish soap to break surface tension, causing the bugs to drown. It's been reported that the bubbles will subside quickly.

Realistically, the bugs will eventually drown anyways. The key to eradication of springtails is locating their nesting areas and eliminating them. I've had little luck in doing so myself. I have tried bifen-based Talstar P insecticide which completely eliminated all pests, with the exception of springtails. No luck with Onslaught either.
Thank You for the responses. Will order some with this pecan tree next to me. Was told peppermint oil for spiders that did not work. I will try the LO-CHLOR

If you have moist areas around your pool they tend to live there. They also like to live in mulch. I have had luck with Bifen in the past. If you are not sure where they are coming from your can just spray everything. I spray my whole yard with Bifen about once a month anyway.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Algaecide has helped a bit for me but as soon as one of the pecan tree leaves hits the water it is all over.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.