slharrington

May 17, 2023
New Zion SC
We have noticed we get a tingle when in the water close to the light and then on the other end with the rail at the steps. An electrician is suppose to come out this weekend to check things. Our light hasn't worked correctly since it was installed so I'm thinking it has to be that. However, with this electrician telling me to remove the ground to see if the current is still there because it should be bonded, I'm not very trusting at this point. Is there something I can put in the water to test or keep an eye on any current that may be in the pool? Just for safety sake? I found something called Shock Alert but I dont know how well it works. Any suggestions?

I know this is probably a stupid question but…Does power automatically stop in water when removed or does it dissipate over time ?
Electricity immediately stops flowing when stopped.

It does not accumulate in water.

We think it’s coming from the light that we had replaced 3 yrs ago and never worked right. The electrician will be here tomorrow to check things per the pool company. He told us to remove the grounding wire if there was one since they are suppose to be bonded now and the ground rod was probably done because of inspection. My problem with that is, it was working fine before with the grounding wire attached why do you want me to remove it and see if I feel the shock? Why not replace the faulty light first?

Ok. The light was replaced and we turned off the main power to the house but we are still getting 0.4-0.9volts. We live in a rural area and own both houses on either side. We also turned off the power at those locations and tested with same results. Any other suggestions?

The light was replaced and we turned off the main power to the house but we are still getting 0.4-0.9volts.
Between what two points are seeing voltage? Pictures?
But also agree with @JamesW . This isn't really something you should troubleshoot with the help of people on the internet. Call a professional. This is serious stuff.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Between what two points are seeing voltage? Pictures?
But also agree with @JamesW . This isn't really something you should troubleshoot with the help of people on the internet. Call a professional. This is serious stuff.
Water and ground. I’m working with the power company and pool company. Just thought someone might have an idea that we haven’t tried yet. Somewhere we haven’t looked.

Reactions: Shirker
Ok to update. The power company has even disconnected us from the transformer and we still get voltage (1.2 max). What in the world?

That says the stray voltage is coming from a neighbor or utility feed.

The Power Company should investigate the feeds around your house.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.