Time to upgrade AquaLogic controller.

gmenifee

May 7, 2024
Oklahoma City
Hi all, been reading here off and on for years, hoping for some input on upgrading my equipment.

Currently have a Hayward Northstar 2 speed pump, and Aqualogic Rev. 2.42 controller. Basically all we use the controller for is timing of when the pump uses high/low/off,and freeze control.

I have been limping along the Northstar with a new motor, but it has gotten to the point that even 2 speed motors, and pump parts are discontinued. My initial thought is to just upgrade to a new Aqualogic board with a software revision that will control a Hayward VS MaxFlo pump. The new board, is of course the budget option over the Omni PL upgrade, and we just would not use most of the features of the Omni PL.

From how I understand what I have read, the the pump would just wire to the Aqualogic relay for power, but speed would be controlled by the pump itself. Would I also have to run low voltage wire from controller to the pump to make the VS work?

Any thoughts or input is appreciated.

The AquaLogic board, version 2.65 and higher will directly control the speed of a VS pump. I have the MaxFlo VS pump and version 2.86 so I can program the VS speeds directly and set up the timers for 2 speeds. Plus, I created this app so I can control my system via a smartphone and/or PC:

Unfortunately, your board is too low of version to program the speeds via the controller directly. So you have a couple of choices:

1) Use your current board and the dry contact relays to change speeds via the controller (sec 5.3 of manual). Programming the speeds would be done on the pump controller.
2) Upgrade the AquaLogic to v2.65 or higher and gain the ability to program the speeds via the controller.
3) Upgrade the entire unit to a more current controller (e.g. OmniLogic).

Of course each choice is more expensive than the previous.