This morning's numbers
FC. 7
CC. 2.5
TC. 9.5
pH. 6.8
TA. 60
CH. 190
CYA 0

Color is almost an aquamarine. I did better on the overnight FC than I thought I would. I added more calcium last night and will add again today.

Should I be concerned about the drop in pH? I understand there is a relationship between TA and pH not that I fully comprehend it.

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk HD

Interesting turn of events:?

Results at 1020
FC. 8
CC. 3
TC. 11
CYA. 0

At 1140 hrs
FC 8
CC. 3
TC. 11
CYA. 0

I didn't add anything after the 1020 test because the sun is on the pool and with a CYA of 0 I was going to be happy with it in the 3-5 range until it starts going into shadow again.

But then it is exactly the same over an hour later. So does this mean the CYA is starting to take effect even though the test is still negative for its presence? :?

1. Since you didn't put the CYA in until Sat afternoon, please just assume it is in there and quit testing for it....it'll save you some reagent and you can assume it is effective even though it doesn't show on the test.

2. A couple of comments about your FC. First FC doesn't go up unless you put more in...it can't. So you have a small testing error. Carry the FC test (and all other color change tests to their completion until the last drop you add makes no further color change whatsoever. Then subtract that last drop from your total and that will be your FC.

Secondly (and this is very common) you report FC being below SLAM value but you don't tell us what you did about it. You can give us a better picture by saying....

7:30 AM FC tested @ x.x. That's a loss of x.x since 4:30PM yesterday.
I added xxx amount of 8.25% bleach which, according to the calculator, should bring me up to x.x FC (SLAM value)

That helps of keep abreast of your FC loss over a given period and helps us understand how the SLAM is progressing.

Lastly, with CC's of 3 ppm that tells us your FC is working but it's got more to do. Despite the loss from the sun, you would probably be ahead of the game if you returned your FC to SLAM value after each test.

Disregard your pH and CH for now and focus on the SLAM

Like Dave said, focus on your chlorine only during your SLAM.

It's going to be hot this week so just keep your FC up and add it as often as you can (and need to). During the initial stages of swamp to pools, you will use a bunch of chlorine but it will soon get your CC under control and your filter will get rid of the dead stuff.

Really all that is going on now is you are killing (oxidizing) algae with chlorine and your filter removing the dead stuff. When you get the pool clear, you can move on to your pH and CYA (after you are clear, for emphasis)

duraleigh said:
1. Since you didn't put the CYA in until Sat afternoon, please just assume it is in there and quit testing for it....it'll save you some reagent and you can assume it is effective even though it doesn't show on the test.

2. A couple of comments about your FC. First FC doesn't go up unless you put more in...it can't. So you have a small testing error. Carry the FC test (and all other color change tests to their completion until the last drop you add makes no further color change whatsoever. Then subtract that last drop from your total and that will be your FC.

Secondly (and this is very common) you report FC being below SLAM value but you don't tell us what you did about it. You can give us a better picture by saying....

7:30 AM FC tested @ x.x. That's a loss of x.x since 4:30PM yesterday.
I added xxx amount of 8.25% bleach which, according to the calculator, should bring me up to x.x FC (SLAM value)

That helps of keep abreast of your FC loss over a given period and helps us understand how the SLAM is progressing.

Lastly, with CC's of 3 ppm that tells us your FC is working but it's got more to do. Despite the loss from the sun, you would probably be ahead of the game if you returned your FC to SLAM value after each test.

Disregard your pH and CH for now and focus on the SLAM

Thanks for your feedback. Much appreciated.

So the FC test I just did came to 6 (13 drops -1). To get back to SLAM, I added 1gal., 2 qts, 2 cups of 10% bleach.

I also think this bleach is actually at 10% because I splashed a couple of drops on my leg earlier this morning and it started to burn. The other brand said it was 10% also, but was only a little sting by comparison.

duraleigh said:
Nice work, tiba! :goodjob:

Not so fast with the praise, duraleigh. The rest of the afternoon/evening has been interesting. At 1355 the FC was 8.5, and based on my estimated gallonage of 41900, I added 2 quarts of 10% bleach per the pool calculator.
At 1435 the FC was 11. That was after I thought the initial test was all jacked up because I quit adding drops when I got to about a FC of 14. I got a fresh batch of water and came up with the 11. Added nothing.
At 1515 the FC had dropped to 10.5, and I added nothing.
An hour later it dropped to 9.5, so I followed the numbers from the pool calculator and added 3 cups and 2 ounces.
At 1730 the FC jumped back up to 11. :?
At 1820 the FC had eased back to 10.
By 1915 it went down to 8.5. I added 2 quarts, 1 cup, 6 ounces. At 2030 the FC was a perfect 10 so I did NOTHING.
My last reading for the night showed a whopping 11.5. :evil::twisted::mad:

To get from 8.5 to 11 I would have to add like 5 quarts. Which is about the combined amount I have added since 2 this afternoon. But there have been two (2) such fluctuations this afternoon, and I don't get it.

Grrrrrrrrrr.

Hope your attack is still going well today. Your FC fluctuations could very well be normal. To ensure consistency in mixing the Cl additions are you pouring it in slowly in front of a return to ensure it is disbursed evenly as possible? In obtaining samples are you taking them at a depth of 12 to 18 inches from the same location in the pool, in an area of good circulation (but not at a return) and inverting the sample container until you flip to fill at that depth? May not be the best or only method, but that's the way I have chosen.

Are you running the pump 24/7 to ensure distribution of your dosages? Are you sampling a foot or so below the surface?

FC simply CANNOT increase unless you put more in.....it can only decrease.

I cannot say what the issue is but there is a testing error somewhere in your technique.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have been pulling my sample from the same area (behind a return) for the last three days from a depth of 18 inches. I add the bleach in front of the returns to help with the distribution. The only semi-plausible thing I can think of is that a few days ago when I started this was I had a couple of pucks hanging in front of a return. Due to a mechanical failure of the bag, the pucks are now swimming in the pool, somewhere. The area I test from is just a few feet downstream from their last known location. They could have migrated to the area and be off-gassing. With that in mind, I swept the area this morning.
I expect my numbers to be off a bit this morning because I need to vacuum the deep end. Dredging with the skimmer net is bringing diminishing returns. And then I will need to add some more water. As hot as it has been, I lost some to evaporation anyhow.

Sounds like a vacuum to waste might be a good thing to get rid of the solid waste (leaves, dead algae...) at the bottom of the pool.

As I see it, you have two choices with leaves and other debris... dissolve them with chlorine or vacuum to waste (physically remove).

techguy said:
Sounds like a vacuum to waste might be a good thing to get rid of the solid waste (leaves, dead algae...) at the bottom of the pool.

As I see it, you have two choices with leaves and other debris... dissolve them with chlorine or vacuum to waste (physically remove).

Vacuum to waste was our plan for this morning. Omg, what a slime ball! We were making good progress until someone I know :roll: forgot to put the strainer basket back in the pump after dumping a load of debris. Rapidly decreased output and a bad sound from the pump. I can't blame it on the dog.
After a lunch break and some head scratching, I remembered that I had a copy of the owner's manual for the pump on my Kindle. Grabbed some tools and disassembled the pump. Sure enough, the volutes were jammed rock solid (literally) with pea gravel. Several minutes later they were cleaned out and didn't appear the worse for wear.
Put everything back together and it works!

Of course now I have to rotate the filter quite often because we definitely stirred up the muck today. Tomorrow we will be back at the vacuum job.

Finished vacuuming this morning. Allowed Kreepy Krawler full access to the pool until about 30 minutes ago. That first filter change was totally awesome! Kreepy only choked once on a large chunk of broken pvc :? Some of the other odd things we found this morning included two nails, a screw, and a chunk of pool-blue painted silicone. Oh, and one bird bone. Idiot birds have tried to land on the floaters. I'm guessing one got a little wet.

Once we got done with the vacuum I got the FC back up to 10 and it hasn't dropped lower than 9.5 since about noon. Chlorine consumption has slowed considerably so I think the CYA is starting to kick in. And I'm okay with that. I have resisted the OCD urge to test for it multiple times a day. Maybe Saturday :D

Anyhow, hoping to progress from sea-foam green in the near future. :lol:

When I went out this morning to check on things, the filter pressure had only give up about 3# after about 11 hours of use.
FC 9
CC. 2
TC 11

The FC only dropped 1 overnight but obviously the CC shows more work to be done. I threw Kreepy Krauly back in for another day of work. The pool is still a very light green, and visibility is still about a foot.

I have learned a lot about pool maintenance just in the two weeks I have been reading the forum. Thanks for putting this info out there for everyone!

1. I assume CC result is 2 ppm and not .2 ppm.

the filter pressure had only give up about 3# after about 11 hours of use.
Not enough info.....3 psi from what?

10 normal psi to 13 psi is time to backwash. 20 psi to 23 psi is not. backwash whenever psi rises by 25% above normal.

duraleigh said:
1. I assume CC result is 2 ppm and not .2 ppm.

the filter pressure had only give up about 3# after about 11 hours of use.
Not enough info.....3 psi from what?

10 normal psi to 13 psi is time to backwash. 20 psi to 23 psi is not. backwash whenever psi rises by 25% above normal.

Duraleigh, you are correct that the CC is 2 ppm. Sorry about the inadvertent period.

I have a cartridge filter that starts off at 3-4 psi. When it gets to 7 psi (or above) I rotate a fresh cartridge. There is no backwash. It is an old Posi-Flo filter system. With only 137 sq ft on the filter, I suspect it is undersized for the pool, but when the pool was clean it did okay.

Between the vacuum and the Kreepy Krauly, lots of stuff is floating around now, and I spent a fair amount of time today rotating and rinsing off the filters.

Tomorrow I have errands to run, so I am going to let the filter do its job. I will have time to monitor the chlorine level throughout the day.

Last night's numbers
FC 10.5
CC 2.5
TC 13

This morning (12 hours later)
FC 9.5
CC 1.5
TC 11

I added 3 cups, 2 oz of 10% bleach to bring it back up to shock level.
The filter pressure was up to 9# from its starting level of 4#, so a fresh cartridge was put in. The dirty filter was only light gray in color, compared to the obvious green of yesterday. The pool is still a cloudy light green.

On another note, what is the best way to clean the interior of the ladder tubes. I was going to mix a batch of water with a 10% bleach solution and fill the tubes and let it sit for awhile, then repeat a few more times. If there is a better way, I'm open to suggestions.

Did the whole test this morning (Saturday)
FC 8
CC 2
TC 10
ph 7.4
TA 70
CH 180
CYA maybe 10 water is cloudy but I can still make out the dot. Depends on the lighting.

I added 3 qts, 1 cup of 10% bleach for the FC.

Didn't get to spend much time on the pool yesterday because my dumb dog whacked me in the eye and I had to go see the doctor.

The pool does look more blueish green this morning but is still very cloudy. I plan on doing a blind vacuum because I did notice from the other day when Kreepy was working that there appears to be a pocket of sand/debris on the slope going down to the deep end.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.