Time to replace my pump setup....

Apr 15, 2015
Stroud, Ok
Hello again everyone,

I've been hard at work prepping my pool for the upcoming swim season. after beginning my SLAM, I noticed some noise coming from my pump, I currently have a hayward super pump running a century 1hp pump. Well long story short I decided to split the motor for the pump to check the impeller. Sure enough packed with all sorts of junk. I cleaned it and began the reassembly only to find that the brass thread inserts that had been molded into the body had come out.

After much research I found that this is a common problem for the hayward super pump. While trying to fix this with a replacement thread set, I found my impeller was dry rotted to the point that it fell off after I separated it. All things included I would end up spending around $100 to $150 to fix a faulty pump So I've been doing some research for replacements and would love some input on pump size, and brand that everyone has to recommend. i've been really looking at the Pentair Superflo in a 3/4 HP. Mostly because of the cost, and it says it is a direct replacement to the Hayward Super Pump.

Some background on my setup,
I have an 11,000 gallon concrete inground pool, unsure on build date. I have recently added a digital timer for the pump. My equipment pad is outside in the elements but that will hopefully change in the next few months. I run an older sand filter, a member here was kind enough to identify it as either a tagelus TA-60 or sand dollar SD-60. I do not have a spa or a water feature. I do not have an automatic pool cleaner or any of the fancy stuff, just me with a vacuum. I will hopefully be getting a polaris suction side cleaner soon though. Any thought or input from members is much appreciated.

Have you thought about a two speed or is cost the issue? The 3/4 HP comes in a two speed as well. Either way it is a good choice. Another pump I like is the Hayward MaxFlo.

I have thought about the two speed setup I'm just not sure what the energy savings would be since I have such a small pool and don't really have to run the pump very much. Will a 3/4 Hp setup like the one I'm describing be strong enough to drive the suction side cleaner I'm hoping to get soon or would I be better off getting a two speed setup for when it is running?

Yes, a 3/4 HP should be more than enough for a suction cleaner. You might have to redirect flow more to the cleaner with a smaller pump but it should work fine.

To figure out the energy savings of a two speed, you would have to figure out how much time would be on low speed vs high speed. The cleaner would work fine on high speed but low speed might be a problem depending on the cleaner. But energy consumption for the two speed SuperFlo is about 1000 watts on high speed and 240 watts on low speed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.