Time to change the sand?

eemueller

LifeTime Supporter
May 31, 2013
SE Michigan
My Triton sand filter is not doing as good a job as it used to. The sand hasn't been changed in 10 years. Just recently, I had to hand vacuum my pool when the Aquabot died. As I was vacuuming, I noticed cloudy water coming from the returns. I stopped, backwashed, and then started vacuuming again, but the same thing happened. Time for new sand? Thanks.

Just in case......

Just in case......

Thanks, Pat! I've never tried the deep cleaning, but I'll watch the video and give it a try.

My Triton sand filter is not doing as good a job as it used to. The sand hasn't been changed in 10 years. Just recently, I had to hand vacuum my pool when the Aquabot died. As I was vacuuming, I noticed cloudy water coming from the returns. I stopped, backwashed, and then started vacuuming again, but the same thing happened. Time for new sand? Thanks.
What size Triton? In ten years you have probably lost enough sand through backwashing to need 50 pounds in a TR60 and 100 pounds in a TR100. Typically, I have found that need after 5 years operation on almost all the sand filters I have installed. The top of the sand bed needs to be at a specific height in the tank for a sand filter to work properly. Even a filter that the instructions say needs 300 pounds may actually only need 280, but the sand comes in 50 and 100 pound bags. The excess will backwash out and then slowly so will some of the rest.

What size Triton? In ten years you have probably lost enough sand through backwashing to need 50 pounds in a TR60 and 100 pounds in a TR100. Typically, I have found that need after 5 years operation on almost all the sand filters I have installed. The top of the sand bed needs to be at a specific height in the tank for a sand filter to work properly. Even a filter that the instructions say needs 300 pounds may actually only need 280, but the sand comes in 50 and 100 pound bags. The excess will backwash out and then slowly so will some of the rest.
I ended up getting the sand replaced, but the water is still dirty. I'm afraid the suspended particles are too small for the Triton TR-100C filter. I've ordered extra-fine filters for my Dolphin pool bot, hoping that helps. Any other suggestions? Draining the pool is really not an option. I'm considering changing to a DE filter for next season. Any thoughts on that?

I ended up getting the sand replaced, but the water is still dirty. I'm afraid the suspended particles are too small for the Triton TR-100C filter. I've ordered extra-fine filters for my Dolphin pool bot, hoping that helps. Any other suggestions? Draining the pool is really not an option. I'm considering changing to a DE filter for next season. Any thoughts on that?
A couple of handfuls of DE or cellulose fiber added through the skimmer will allow the filter to capture the very fine material in the pool. I prefer the cellulose as it makes very little mess when backwashed out and is completely inert and bio-degradable. For a TR-100 two handfuls is enough to put a layer over the sand bed, more would be a waste. Here is one brand:
61v1+Mo7sOL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Reactions: Mdragger88
A couple of handfuls of DE or cellulose fiber added through the skimmer will allow the filter to capture the very fine material in the pool. I prefer the cellulose as it makes very little mess when backwashed out and is completely inert and bio-degradable. For a TR-100 two handfuls is enough to put a layer over the sand bed, more would be a waste. Here is one brand:
61v1+Mo7sOL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
Thanks for the reply. Can I add the DE through the skimmer intakes, or do I need to open the top of the sand filter and pour it on top of the existing sand?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.