Time for pool chemicals to fully integrate?

Copernicu

Bronze Supporter
Jul 22, 2020
Phoenix, Arizona
How long after adding chemicals does it take for them to get fully mixed in the pool, so that you can test the new level accurately? In case it's different for different chemicals, I am particularly interested in liquid chlorine, muriatic acid, and cya (which I put in the skimmer).

My pool is 24K gallons and I use the TF-100 test kit.

Thank you.

Liquid chlorine and muriatic acid - 30 minutes or so. With pump running.

CYA - 24-48 hours after it has been fully dissolved using the sock method.

Liquid chlorine and muriatic acid - 30 minutes or so. With pump running.

CYA - 24-48 hours after it has been fully dissolved using the sock method.

Thank you.

I used to use the sock method but after getting a cartridge filter, I switch to just pouring the cya directly into the skimmer (someone told me that's okay). Is it better to use the sock method with a cartridge filter?

It's best to use the sock method regardless of what type filter you have.
Pouring directly into the skimmer causes the granules to get caught in the filter (the cartridge pleats in your case) and it can sometimes take 5-7 days for all the CYA to dissolve.

No one here would have told you it was ok to pour it directly into the skimmer.

Also, try to keep all your chemical related questions in one thread rather than spreading them across multiple threads.

With a small pool, and I use hair nets in the skimmer basket, I will pour the stabilizer (8 oz is all I add at one time) into the hairnet in the skimmer. With pump on, it is gone in less than an hour. But if you are adding more, use the normal sock method.

If you pour directly into the skimmer (without a hair net), it goes to the filter. As Gene said, it takes some time to dissolve. Anecdotally, I have found some undissolved stabilizer in the bottom of my cartridge filter (first time after the pool builder added it directly to the skimmer) when I cleaned it months after it was added. There is a significant 'no flow' area in the bottom of the filter housing.

Reactions: proavia
It's best to use the sock method regardless of what type filter you have.
Pouring directly into the skimmer causes the granules to get caught in the filter (the cartridge pleats in your case) and it can sometimes take 5-7 days for all the CYA to dissolve.

No one here would have told you it was ok to pour it directly into the skimmer.

Also, try to keep all your chemical related questions in one thread rather than spreading them across multiple threads.
Thank you.

I found where I read that info: What is up with the CYA in a sock?

With a small pool, and I use hair nets in the skimmer basket, I will pour the stabilizer (8 oz is all I add at one time) into the hairnet in the skimmer. With pump on, it is gone in less than an hour. But if you are adding more, use the normal sock method.

If you pour directly into the skimmer (without a hair net), it goes to the filter. As Gene said, it takes some time to dissolve. Anecdotally, I have found some undissolved stabilizer in the bottom of my cartridge filter (first time after the pool builder added it directly to the skimmer) when I cleaned it months after it was added. There is a significant 'no flow' area in the bottom of the filter housing.
Thank you. I'm going back to the sock method.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.