Time for new filter cartridges?

Roger that.

Thanks for the test vial / alcohol tip. My readings for the past couple days have been way more consistent.
X2 , so simple and I never even thought of it. Also, get skimmer socks. I have a husky that uses the pool. I clean the socks and it's like a clothes dryer filter every couple days. I couldn't imagine taking apart the filter that often.

X2 , so simple and I never even thought of it. Also, get skimmer socks. I have a husky that uses the pool. I clean the socks and it's like a clothes dryer filter every couple days. I couldn't imagine taking apart the filter that often.
Yeah I use them, and it grabs a bunch, but a metric ton makes its way into the filter. So annoying.

Posting to follow.

I’ve got a the same cartridge and plan to hit it with an Aqua Comb I just got and log it. Mine is 7+ years and worse condition. I’ll tag you in my post so you can see how that works out. The filters are so Dang expensive I want to see if I can get more time out of them.

Posting to follow.

I’ve got a the same cartridge and plan to hit it with an Aqua Comb I just got and log it. Mine is 7+ years and worse condition. I’ll tag you in my post so you can see how that works out. The filters are so Dang expensive I want to see if I can get more time out of them.
Awesome, thanks. I’ve been considering one of those as well but the janky plastic turned me off. I’d be interested to see what you think of it.

Also, I hate this filter because the carts are so expensive, but also because of the 7 clamps to get into it. So annoying.

Yeah I use them, and it grabs a bunch, but a metric ton makes its way into the filter. So annoying.
That's pretty amazing. Not sure how the hair gets past the sock. All my filters get are dust and whatever small stuff goes through the drains. I clean every few months and they really aren't that dirty. I've never seen the filter tub water look that bad

Well, we had some people over for a swim today. After 2 hours, the water got cloudy, and after about 5 hours, you couldn’t see the bottom. I even turned the pump up to 40 GPM too. I had the SWCG on super chlorinate as well. I’m stumped.

Well, we had some people over for a swim today. After 2 hours, the water got cloudy, and after about 5 hours, you couldn’t see the bottom. I even turned the pump up to 40 GPM too. I had the SWCG on super chlorinate as well. I’m stumped.
Try the OCLT again and maybe start a SLAM with LC. Safe to assume your SWCG was off the last OCLT?

If you weren’t aware it’s safe to swim in the pool up to SLAM levels as long as you can see the bottom. I mention it in case you didn’t in case you have swimming plans for the holiday or anything.

Try the OCLT again and maybe start a SLAM with LC. Safe to assume your SWCG was off the last OCLT?

If you weren’t aware it’s safe to swim in the pool up to SLAM levels as long as you can see the bottom. I mention it in case you didn’t in case you have swimming plans for the holiday or anything.
Yeah I’ll try another OCLT tonight. And yeah, I had the SWCG off during the last OCLT.

FWIW, I did a test this morning:
FC 14.5
CC 0
Put 1.5 gal chlorine in, which should bring it close to 24.

I honestly think most of my problems are from the dog. I ran the pump overnight and a ton of dirt, grass, and dog hair was floating on the surface or sitting at the bottom of the pool.

We trenched irrigation and laid sod around half the pool a couple years ago and it looked great. Then we got a dog last year and he just rips it up while running hot laps around the pool. When he jumps in, he brings tons of dirt and grass with him. The grass adds to the color back there, but when he swims it just becomes a mud pit and I have to completely re-seed the area every fall. I’m about to just have the whole thing concreted in.

Anyway, we’re going to keep him out of the pool today and see if it makes a difference at all. It’s still a bit cloudy this morning, but hopefully it clears up a bit before my kids want to swim.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: KJB1
Yeah I’ll try another OCLT tonight. And yeah, I had the SWCG off during the last OCLT.

FWIW, I did a test this morning:
FC 14.5
CC 0
Put 1.5 gal chlorine in, which should bring it close to 24.

I honestly think most of my problems are from the dog. I ran the pump overnight and a ton of dirt, grass, and dog hair was floating on the surface or sitting at the bottom of the pool.

We trenched irrigation and laid sod around half the pool a couple years ago and it looked great. Then we got a dog last year and he just rips it up while running hot laps around the pool. When he jumps in, he brings tons of dirt and grass with him. The grass adds to the color back there, but when he swims it just becomes a mud pit and I have to completely re-seed the area every fall. I’m about to just have the whole thing concreted in.

Anyway, we’re going to keep him out of the pool today and see if it makes a difference at all. It’s still a bit cloudy this morning, but hopefully it clears up a bit before my kids want to swim.
Dog problems are both funny and extremely annoying.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.