time for chlorine to diffuse

jvf

Aug 5, 2017
maui
Hello,
Organic chemistry wasn’t my strong suit. Does anyone know how long for liquid chlorine to diffuse equally throughout a 5000 gallon body of water if it’s poured into one area? When I service my bro-in-law’s exercise pool I just turn on the propeller for a couple of minutes. It’s great! Now I’m taking care of a still body of water. Getting and testing samples over the course of the day will be difficult so I was curious how long it might take.
Thanks,

jvf

I think he's describing caring for a body of water that does not have a pump. He just wants to know about how long it will take chemicals to diffuse themselves into the water without any "help."
@JoyfulNoise once helped me with a similar question.

That said, if you don't find an answer to your liking, you could use a small submersible pump to mix the water for you, pump at one end and a hose from it reaching to the other end, so that the intake and output are far enough away from each other to give you some circulation. You could leave the pump in the water all the time, or just use it for your chemical mixing needs.

You can find them in the $50 range on Amazon, no plumbing required!

It won’t diffuse or mix at all if the water is stagnant. Liquid chlorine is more dense than water so it will sink and pool wherever it lands. Liners have been bleached and surfaces etched from pooling chemicals.

You should only add acid or liquid chlorine to a pool that has a return with flowing water from it OR you are prepared to add it and then mix the pool with a pool brush.

Reactions: Mdragger88 and Dirk
Thank you everyone and Merry Christmas. Someone else mentioned that the chlorine would sink and I was wondering how it would ever diffuse. And, you are correct in that I have no pump. But, since the consensus is that the water must be “stirred” somehow I will consider the small pump and hose idea.

jvf

Reactions: Dirk
Everyone around there has a kayak, right? Use a paddle to give it a big stir!
Brushing with one hand while pouring slowly with the other.
Didn't I see you two the other day, driving around in Paul's new car?

Don Markstein's Toonopedia: The Flintstones

I like my small electric pump idea, thank you very much. ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Didn't I see you two the other day, driving around in Paul's new car?

Don Markstein's Toonopedia: The Flintstones's Toonopedia: The Flintstones

I like my small electric pump idea, thank you very much. ;)
Just giving options incase electricity is a problem. Multiple ways to skin this cat!
We have seen a member using the ole brush/boat paddle method keep their pool clear for 2+ weeks while their pump was out of commission.

Reactions: Dirk
Some thing is missing, I think. If your have a 5k body of water with no pump, you will not (long term) be able to keep that pool sanitized and free of dirt.

The water must be circulated and filtered daily and sanitized daily. How are you doing that now?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.