Time, energy and money wasted

Status
Not open for further replies.
themamacurd

I bet your a little overwhelmed, maybe this will help, you already have the ability to test everything with your kit except the FAS/DPD FC test, if you have amazon you could get what you need for 29 dollars and that would complete your kit :) if you have prime, for 6 dollars more you could get everything tomorrow.

Amazon.com : Taylor 2 Oz DPD Reagent R-0003 : Swimming Pool Maintenance Kits : Patio, Lawn Garden
Amazon.com : Taylor FAS-DPD Titrating Reagent (Chlorine) 2 oz R-0871-C : Swimming Pool Maintenance Kits : Patio, Lawn Garden
Amazon.com : Taylor Technologies R-0870-I DPD Powder for Swimming Pool, 10gm : Swimming Pool Liquid Test Kits : Patio, Lawn Garden

I am a skeptical person. You tell me something and I dont believe you until I research and research.
I am still trying to figure out if this entire forum is a marketing ploy.
You all sound like a commercial for this test kit. I am not trying to be offensive but you all really do sound like a cult.
I have several different people telling me several different things. I am not one to just do something because someone says so, I need to know why I am being told to do it. And still I will research and decide if its the best thing to do.
I do have a game plane but I fear to disclose it because I am confident I will receive negative comments.
So just let me do my thing and if it doesnt work I will come back and seek your advice.

I like your skepticism, are you a programmer or analyst? The only reason people push the TF-50/100 kits is because it's a better value for clearing green pools. With your existing kit, I'd just get the XL Option, a spoon, and a CYA refill, I think that's needed, I really don't know! I was able to get my pool cleared before having the opportunity to order a recommended kit, by that time it was too late to convince my wife to let me purchase the kit, she says "Why, the pool looks better than it has ever been!". So now it's been 3 years of clear water with only the HtH 6-way drop test and a Taylor CYA refill from Amazon, and there's no way I can justify to my wife that I *need* to have a recommended kit, even though I would like having one.

Even though I don't have a recommended test kit myself, I recommend that people that are new to managing their own chemicals get one. The reason is because it will save them a huge headache not having to learn everything themselves all at once. Instead, with a recommended test kit, even a person with 3 days into ownership of their first pool can be hand held through clearing up a swamp.

You are frustrated because you have a green pool and you don't know exactly which way to go even though you are learning quick, so you make guesses, and guessing at water chemistry is just wasting money. If you don't have a good kit, we have to guess as well. When trying to help someone, guessing is frustrating because it wastes time writing longer posts outlining various possible causes and possible solutions. It brings back memories of when we were in your shoes, guessing at what might need to be done instead of knowing what needs to be done and we don't like going back to guessing at things. You should know the feeling, you have it right now. To get rid of the feeling of uncertainty, get an FAS-DPD test from anywhere. Your other option is to read, read, read, read, read, read, read, why read? Because nobody wants to make guesses for you... Once done reading, determine a CYA number you truly trust and follow the Chlorine/CYA chart. Buy Taylor CYA refill on Amazon and use it with your Hth's CYA tube like I do. Now you're left with one final thing that you have to guess and that is FC. Your kit will do TC, not FC. If you maintain your TC at shock level for your CYA based on the chlorine/cya chart, your pool will eventually be clear and free of algae. It will take longer, it will leave you guessing at times, but it will work. If you go with the OTO comparator in the hth kit to attempt this, you need to drop CYA down to 30, dilute your pool test water 1:1 with distilled water and multiply your test result by 2. Any time your TC drops to 10, add enough bleach to increase TC back to 12ppm using Pool Math.

The reason this forum has a "SLAM" method for clearing a green pool is that over time, this was found to be the best method to ensure the algae got killed quickly and completely. You cannot do a SLAM because you cannot measure FC, CC, or do an overnight FC loss test. So, you just have to guess at when you're done. You can clear a pool 100% of the time without a recommended test kit and you can be maybe 80% certain you killed it all if you are holding TC good overnight for a few nights in a row after it's crystal clear and cannot smell chloramines when splashing the water. However, that's not what this forum teaches. If this were the process here, the process wouldn't work 100% of the time like it does and would make the process look bad, maybe not as bad as pool store advice, but still bad enough that people lurking think they may as well just go back to the pool store if the methods here are going to fail too. Please don't expect the members here to give advice they are not confident will work, most of the members are people who were in your shoes and were so excited they could learn how to manage a pool without spending fortune at the pool store every season that was cloudy half the time but is now clear all season long, so they stuck around to share that knowledge with other people. Most everyone here learned to do it on a recommended test kit and have no idea how effective using a different test kit might be, but they do know a recommended test kit will get them from a swamp to a sparkling pool and keep it that way all season long.

I always figure one bottle of "magic potion" from the pool store costs around $50., second trip to counter act the bad advice costs at least $50. More, you're actually ahead buying the test kit at $70., because after that you just need bleach and maybe a little murratic acid. (You'd be throwing powdered shock and tablets in the pool at an additional cost too, the pool store way.) the thing with the TFP method, is it only works if you follow the whole thing, kind of like a recipe. If you don't use all the correct ingredients and follow the correct steps, you end up with a flat cake. Or in this case, green water! Go through and read some of the green to clean threads, there are pictures and real time documentation that the TFP method works. I have not had to SLAM durin the regular season since I started it in 2012. And welcome to the forum.

I can't wait until we get to teach her the mystic words and the secret handshake.

All together now: "One of us, one of us, one of us..."

Ha!
I really appreciate your response. It made me feel better.
I have been a pool owner for nine years.
But I have only been taking care of the pool since Monday. But I have learned quite a bit in these few days.
I wasn't aware of the time frame to clear a pool because this is my first time clearing a pool. I didnt know what to expect.
Thats why I joined this forum.
Dont get me wrong a handful of people on ny thread have been helpful and reassuring but the majority sound like a cult. They sound like used car salesman. And in my opinion, some of the comments are just nasty all because I am skeptical about a product.
It isn't right.

Here is something else that isn't right. You came here seeking advice, and you got it in spades. The best that we have, and you call it cult-ish and nasty. We have only suggested what works and you've been repeatedly resistant with skepticism. We are not here to promote a cult or rip you off, or take advantage of you with a kit sale. WE DO NOT CARE where you buy a kit, but you have to have a proper one to get the pool in shape. It is impossible for you to do it on your own without one. Period.

Lastly: You'll either decide to try what we suggest, or you won't, but you won't continue criticizing people trying to help you by calling them sleezy car salesmen, and cult leaders.

There isn't another piece of advice you can now be given. If you decide to try and want to post some results, I will be thrilled to help you, as will others, but this has run its course. Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.