mjoHawaii

Dec 30, 2022
Big Island Hawaii
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
I have a new (6 months) infinity edge salt water pool, gunite/ plaster with plaster on the spillover wall. A spa waterfall is on a timer about 6 hours a day, which keeps water flowing over the spillover. The pool builder (experienced) said we should leave this spillover wall as plaster, but others have since told me it will deteriorate too quickly, and I should tile it. The pool builder says "no", and especially says no to epoxy paint. So ... mixed messages. To tile, or not to tile? (I have a lot of 18 inch porcelain tile in hand). Advice?

Welcome to TFP.

If this spillover area is out of the water when the spillover is not running it should be tiled. Plaster should always be submerged and wet. Plaster will not last long when let to dry out.

Post pics of your spillover with it running and not running.

Now I see that you are asking about the lower part of the exterior wall spilling over into the trough. You have tile on the wall top and edge.

There is no perfect surface for that wall. You can already see scale from evaporation forming on the outside wall. Plaster will do although I wonder if what was used was more like stucco plaster than pool plaster. Stucco is a weather resistant exterior finish.

Or as this article explains tile can be used on the wall...

While builders often think long and hard about the interior surface of the pool walls — Tile. Pebble. Some other coating. — they rarely need to worry about the outside surface. It's usually not visible. Not so with an infinity edge. The overflow wall usually must look good and always must wear well.

"There has to be some material on the outside face of the pool wall that is below the knife edge that can survive with water on it or out in the sun," says Sorenson. "That material will be based on the customer's taste and budget. Often we will carry the tile from the knife-edge down the face into the surge chamber at some level. That's the most expensive approach, but it looks the nicest.

"Occasionally we'll build one of these where 99 percent of the view is from the house and no one but the coyotes will ever see the downhill side. So some customers will use a watertight product like Thoroseal that looks like gray paint, and it will seal the wall. It's not that pretty, but it saves a lot of money."

If you have the tile then you should tile that wall.

I will be visiting your beautiful island for a few weeks in February.

If you are coming to the Big Island in February, we would be happy to show you our pool!
Love to pay you a visit. I will be in Waikoloa Village Feb 9-28.

Where on the Big Island are you?

We have just made bookings to be in SE Asia from Feb 1-23, but if you would have time during your final week at Waikoloa, we will be back. We are a bit far, but nice drive, on the Hamakua Coast (Ninole) about an hour from Waikoloa.

Let's try to connect. If you can send me a text, I can give you email and other details.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sent you a txt.

I suggest you delete your phone number from your prior message.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.