Three way PVC ball valves

miamicuse

May 26, 2019
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
I have some questions about three way PVC ball valves. You have a lever that controls which way the water is being diverted to branch "A" or "B".

I have a few of these made by Jandy and typically the way I use it is to set the return line to go to "A" the pool or to "B" which may be the spa, or in between the pump and the filter to continue on, or open the waste line to remove water from the pool/spa.

71dlmwBI4UL._AC_SL1369_.jpg617V6cQFDjL._AC_SL1500_.jpg713gNOsrFqL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

The questions:

(1) Are these valves designed such that the lever may be set to divert water to both branches at the same time? Let me explain, if I have a fish pond and I have a pump and a return line to the pond, and I use a three way ball valve, where "A" goes to say a rock boulder and a waterfall feature, and "B" goes to a fountain aerator. Sometimes I want to run "A" only, and sometimes I want to run "B" only, but there may be times I want to run both A and B, and would I be able to turn the lever half way between A and B, or even play with where the lever needs to be to regulate the flow to both may be 70/30, 60/40 and keep it in that position to run both features? Or these valves are not designed for such usages and when I turn the lever to a spot in between A and B, the hole in the ball may be completely blocked so that no flow may be occurring?

(2) These valves comes in different materials, some says CPVC, some says PVC, if my piping is in PVC, my understanding is the strongest connection is to use PVC to PVC to get true solvent welding, but if the valves are CPVC, then I need to use a special glue intended to join CPVC to PVC, and that is a weaker joint then solvent welding PVC to PVC, is this correct? For example, if you look at this Amazon link:

The title says "Hayward PSV3S2 CPVC 3-Way Diverter Valve" so it's clearly a CPVC valve right? Then further down in the details it says "Material Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC)", seems they are using the two interchangeably?

m,

When manually using a 3-way Jandy valve, you can set the handle to direct the water so that it all flows through one pipe, or the other pipe, or anything in between.

If you have an automation system, it can only go from one stop to the other stop and nothing in between.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: plnewb
As far as manual valves go, sometimes a visual helps.

full

full

Jim, tehcnically positional switches (or if we really wanted to be fancy, encoders) could be used for position sensing - are there DIY projects out there that do this with pool valves?
This thread may be of interest. The smart people behind nodejs-PoolController are working on automation that would allow the Intellivalves to stop at more than 2 positions. Intellivalve RS485 protocol

• Love
Jim, tehcnically positional switches (or if we really wanted to be fancy, encoders) could be used for position sensing - are there DIY projects out there that do this with pool valves?
@plnweb, there are at least a couple DIY projects that use standard Jandy valves and standard actuators to accomplish valve positioning, mine included. In addition, I have read that Jandy has some kind of smart valve control operation that allows this (I know nothing about it). In reality, it seems that very few pool systems require “automated 3+ valve position” valves and so the additional complexity is probably not worth it to 95%+ of pool owners.

Mine uses only TWO positional switches (at both endpoints)… these allow “checking” of the endpoints. In between, positions are set using “timing” of the valve movement which is extremely linear and can be accomplised within a few %. An additional benefit to this method is that valve/actuator operation can be “verified” every time the valve reaches a rail (checks for a failing valve or actuator)…just compare the “actual time to move” to the “expected time to move”. I haven’t updated my project documentation to describe this implementation.

The nodejs-PoolController Intellivalve project (posted above) also seems to be getting closer to this reality as well. That’s really cool!

• Love
@plnweb, there are at least a couple DIY projects that use standard Jandy valves and standard actuators to accomplish valve positioning, mine included. In addition, I have read that Jandy has some kind of smart valve control operation that allows this (I know nothing about it). In reality, it seems that very few pool systems require “automated 3+ valve position” valves and so the additional complexity is probably not worth it to 95%+ of pool owners.

Mine uses only TWO positional switches (at both endpoints)… these allow “checking” of the endpoints. In between, positions are set using “timing” of the valve movement which is extremely linear and can be accomplised within a few %. An additional benefit to this method is that valve/actuator operation can be “verified” every time the valve reaches a rail (checks for a failing valve or actuator)…just compare the “actual time to move” to the “expected time to move”. I haven’t updated my project documentation to describe this implementation.

The nodejs-PoolController Intellivalve project (posted above) also seems to be getting closer to this reality as well. That’s really cool!
Is this something you made or is there some type of guide you followed to achieve timed valve positioning in addition to the two endstop positions? I currently run my valve actuators with DIY wifi relay boards to achieve complete customization of pool equipment so I am very interested.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.