Thoughts on why this is raising / sinking?

TDTPool

Gold Supporter
Aug 13, 2022
Cartersville, Georgia
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
In one pic you'll see this issue I have with part of the concrete sinking, and the coping around the skimmer lid is also sinking. This has been pretty drastic over the last 2 months.
I'm thinking it's due to water getting under it, but curious on thoughts? I've reached out to a couple hardscape companies.

Trying to see what is easily fixable/simple, vs expensive/risky to repair of the issues I'm having. Our new pool quote came in at 170K with removing a lot of the things we want, but pretty concerned about this sinking.
You'll notice in this pic (ignore the algae issue, it's resolved) the sealant is completely folded over, so I'm thinking replacing/repairing the coping is the answer?

If it is, is this something I can reasonably DIY? It seems fairly simple to replace with pavers, just time-consuming.
IMG_1670.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1684[1].JPG
    IMG_1684[1].JPG
    911.1 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1683[1].JPG
    IMG_1683[1].JPG
    606.1 KB · Views: 37
  • Wow
Reactions: Mdragger88
In one pic you'll see this issue I have with part of the concrete sinking, and the coping around the skimmer lid is also sinking. This has been pretty drastic over the last 2 months.
I'm thinking it's due to water getting under it, but curious on thoughts? I've reached out to a couple hardscape companies.

Trying to see what is easily fixable/simple, vs expensive/risky to repair of the issues I'm having. Our new pool quote came in at 170K with removing a lot of the things we want, but pretty concerned about this sinking.
You'll notice in this pic (ignore the algae issue, it's resolved) the sealant is completely folded over, so I'm thinking replacing/repairing the coping is the answer?

If it is, is this something I can reasonably DIY? It seems fairly simple to replace with pavers, just time-consuming.
View attachment 530277
Concrete wasn’t compacted very well before pouring the deck or water has been leaking under it.

It’s really hard to ignore that algae…

Reactions: YippeeSkippy
It’s really hard to ignore that algae…
(ignore the algae issue, it's resolved)
I agree...tough to ignore...

Vomiting Bbc GIF by The QI Elves

The settling is almost surely from the concrete deck settling and not an issue with the coping. Poor compaction of the fill from underneath the decking. The solution to that is no easy task.
A "patch" fix would be to fill the crack where coping and concrete meet with a polyurethane caulk. The problem is I fear the settling will continue over time and reopen the crack. A more permanent option would be to raise the decking by pumping concrete under the decking and hope it settles no further.........that's hard to predict.

A permanent solution is to entirely remove the decking and then compact the sub base and pour new concrete..........big task $$$$

(glad you got the algae fixed but I don't think it was algae........keep chlorine in your pool)

Reactions: Mdragger88
No easy fix for the raising / sinking concrete. Is this something new? If so I would say you may have a leaking line. I am guessing your soil is of an expansive type (swells when it gets wet and shrinks when it drys). The soil is okay to use as long as the moisture level does not change or not change quickly or non-uniformly.

To fix it, the decking will need to be demoed, soil replaced with fill that does not swell and is can be compacted.

For the areas that have settled, concrete jacking or foam jacking may work, but it's may only be a bandaid.

If this is new and it was fine for years, what has changed recently? landscaping, gutters, downspouts, irrigation, etc

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.