Thoughts on this new build SOW?

Jul 14, 2016
roswell, ga
hello experienced pool owners & builders. I am getting ready to start a new build and just received the statement of work (not actual contract) that includes the specifications and equipment. I know next to nothing about pools - so would like some feedback. This build will be in Georgia.

Let me know what you think. . . tell me what is missing and what may be underpowered.

Thank you

• Site Prep Tree Removal- BY OTHER
  • Pre Grade- This includes all initial grading by machine to prepare site for pool construction.
  • Dirt Haul- addition/removal of soil as needed
  • Bobcat Shuttle - site requires use of shuttle for hauling
  • trash/Debris Removal-
  • Small Machine- site requires use of small machine due to access NA
    • **Additional expense due to poor soil conditions; trash, rock or water is not included. Proposal is based on assumed best case scenario.
  • Pool/Spa Base Pool with Standard Features 20x40, 686sf
  • Standard Waterline Tile Single Piece Crab Orchard Coping (2) Skimmers
  • 186 sf Exposed Stackstone Beam at back of pool
    • Stucco Finish
  • Auto Fill (automatically keep water level full
    • Connection to supplied line at pool equipment by other (Typically by irrigation contractor)
  • Salt System chlorine generator
  • Attached 8’ spa with 8 jets, blower and variable speed booster
  • Spa/Pool Heater Jandy® Pool/Spa Heater
  • Gas line (Min. cost is $600.00) allow for 50lf
    • based on distance of pool equipment from gas meter
  • Total of 2 LED Pool lights and 1, LED Spa Light
  • Pool Decking 500sf Level 2 Belgard Pavers
  • Pool Flooring Pebbletec® Interior Finish
    • Standard Colors; Black Pearl, Black Marble, Tahoe Blue Caribbean Blue, Blue Lagoon, Majestic Plum, Sedona Red Sandy Beach, Crème de Menthe, Moonlight Grey, White Pearl Soft White Option to use Pebble Sheen® (9 colors) included if chosen
  • Control System *Optional Aqualink Remote System to control pool/spa
    • OPTIONAL Add on for iOS Control module
  • Additional Site Features
    • 1, Jump Rock
    • 1, Large Concrete/Stucco wall at back of pool per engineered plans.
    • Railing atop wall by other, (fence contractor)
  • STANDARD EQUIPMENT
    • PUMP AND FILTER:
      • Jandy Stealth pump (sized for maximum of 6 hour turnover rate) • Jandy “L” series cartridge filter (CL460 up to 800 sq. ft. CL580 over 800 sq. ft.) • Equipment set on equipment pads
    • PLUMBING AND VALVES:
      • Schedule 40 PVC pipe • Jandy control valves • Jandy check valves (where needed) • 2 – 2” Skimmer lines with a jandy control valve • 2” Return main line with 11/2” lines through wall • Dual drains with 2” lines and VGB compliant covers (spas have 3” lines)
    • CLEANER:
      • Polaris 280 with ¾ hp booster pump and dedicated return
    • SPAS:
      • 8 Waterway power jets with interchangeable internals
      • Polaris QT 1 ½ hp air blower
      • Jandy variable speed pumps used on pool/spa combos
      • 405,000 Btu Ruud (Raypak) heater with capron headers and cupro-nickel heat exchanger
    • CONTROLS:
      • Intermatic Control Center with dual timers (one for pool pump and one for cleaner pump) • Intermatic freeze protection thermostat
    • LIGHTS:
      • Nichless LED lights for both pool and spa are standard
    • CHEMICAL FEEDER:
      • Rainbow in-line chlorine feeder
    • MAINTENANCE EQUIPMENT:
      • Telescopic pole
      • Wall brush
      • Leaf net
      • Vacuum head
      • Vacuum hose
      • 4 way test kit
  • CONSTRUCTION SPECIFICATIONS
    • Plans and Permits:
      • Supply detailed plans for construction
      • Act as owners agent to acquire required permits for construction
      • Contact respective agencies for required inspections throughout construction
      • Advise Homeowner of required “Barrier Code”
    • Excavation:
      • Layout pool and review elevations prior to excavation
      • Excavate, hand shape and form pool to plan specifications
      • Remove excess or acquire fill dirt as needed per contract and plan specifications
    • Steel:
      • Install #3 rebar steel reinforcement throughout pool
      • Install #4 rebar steel reinforcement around bond beam (top edge of pool)
      • Steel to be blocked and tied to ensure proper placement within shell
      • Install bonding wire and grid per electrical codes
    • Plumbing:

• All pipes to be schedule 40 PVC
  • 2- independent skimmer lines with control valves
  • Dual main drains with independent line and control valve
  • Balanced returns to provide proper circulation
  • Dedicated cleaner return
  • Overflow line
  • Shotcrete:
    • Pneumatically applied
    • 4,000 psi compressive strength once cured
  • Tile and coping:
    • Install waterline tile
    • Install coping band around pool perimeter
    • Waterproofing agent added to all thin set and mortar mixes
  • Electrical:
    • Licensed electrician to obtain required permits
    • Electrical service run from existing service panel to pool equipment area
    • Install sub-panel at equipment area
    • Install outlet at equipment area
    • Wire all pumps, lights, heaters, etc.
    • All lights and outlet wired to GFI circuit per code
  • Gas:
    • Licensed gas plumber to obtain required permits
    • Service run from existing meter to heater location
    • Connect supply line to heater
  • Decking:
    • Grade around pool to prepare for deck installation
    • Install appropriate drains as needed to avoid trapping water
    • Provide proper slope to allow proper drainage and avoid washout into pool
  • Interior finish:
    • Drain, clean and prep interior
    • Apply interior finish per manufactures specifications
    • Advise homeowner of any special requirements to ensure proper curing
  • Start-up:
    • Start-up system and check for proper operation
    • Add sanitizing and balancing chemicals as needed
    • Install cleaner and any other remaining equipment
    • Deliver maintenance equipment
    • Instruct homeowner on proper operating and maintenance procedures
    • Deliver all equipment owner’s manuals and warranty information
  • Please note that this is a general guide as to the process of constructing your pool and may change based on each pools features, options and materials used.

Here is a rough layout. I increased the size so he drew, in red, the new layout. I'll get a new drawing soon.

pool drawing.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

I've never built one, but several things jump out at me-

He has multiple items that are noted as "by other". Is this something you will have to arrange for outside the contract and pay for yourself or is he subbing it to others?

He needs to be more specific on the valves. Are these basic (cheap) Jandy ball valves or the preferable NeverLube Valves?

Why is he including a tab feeder when you also have a chlorine generator. Loose the tab feeder.

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

I've never built one, but several things jump out at me-

He has multiple items that are noted as "by other". Is this something you will have to arrange for outside the contract and pay for yourself or is he subbing it to others?

He needs to be more specific on the valves. Are these basic (cheap) Jandy ball valves or the preferable NeverLube Valves?

Why is he including a tab feeder when you also have a chlorine generator. Loose the tab feeder.

thanks. I'll have to check on the 'by other' - I assumed he was doing it all but I'll check.

I'll also check on the valves and tab feeder.

Congrats on the build! I'm just nearing completion on my project, so can't go into much depth on the equipment technicals. However, it looks like a decent SOW. Here's a few thoughts:
-Try to negotiate a cap on extra costs for poor soil conditions. Granted I'm not in Georgia, but your PB should have some experience in your area and be able to ballpark a "downside" case on soil.
-You'll always wish you had more decking, so if your budget and lot size allows for it, go bigger than 500 sqft.
-From my limited knowledge, the Jandy Stealth pump can be either 1 or 2 speed. At a minimum, go 2 speed. If budget allows, go with a variable speed, particularly if you decide to upgrade/automate your controls/timer.
-Can't tell if you will have any water features, but if you do, I'd recommend a separate pump for those.
-There are several "options" identified as possibilities. Get the PB to price those out for you ahead of time, even if you don't pick it. If your project is anything like mine, you'll modify a few things as you are getting closer to start and perhaps after, and seeing how your PB prices those "upgrades" compared to others will give you a better sense on overall pricing/competitiveness.

As you get closer to contract, pay attention to the draw schedule. Try to get draws scheduled at the completion, rather than the start, of the construction phases, and try to get a sizeable (5-10%) final payment at completion of construction. All of that may not be possible, but it helps.

Good luck!

hubbard,

First, I just wanted to say Welcome to TFP... A really great place to be.. :lovetfp:

I suggest you dump the booster pump and pressure side cleaner and use a Robot instead. If I told you I was going to give you an old, and outdated, rotary dial phone, I'm sure you would not be too impressed. Well, Pressure side cleaners are last century's technology compared to more modern Robots which are more in line with today's cellphone technology. To run your booster pump and pressure side cleaner you also have to run your main pump at a pretty high RPM. The whole reason to have a variable speed pump is to reduce your electrical demands. Having a pressure side cleaner just no longer makes any economic sense.

I also recommend that you go with the Optional Aqualink Remote System. Yes, it will cost a little more upfront, but trust me, you will soon forget the little overall price increase compared to the ease of use you will get from have an automation system. I know nothing about the Aqualink system, but I assume it has the ability to be able to control your pool's functions from your PC, Tablet, or Phone.

I would take the "MAINTENANCE EQUIPMENT" that the pool builder will supply with a grain of salt. It will be very cheap and almost worthless. Especially the test kit. I suggest you read the "Pool School" link at the top of this page and see for yourself how important a good Test Kit is for maintaining your water quality.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

I also just noticed this line "Act as owners agent to acquire required permits".

Is he a licensed contractor? If he is then he should pull permits in the business name, not yours.

Many jurisdictions allow homeowners to pull permits themselves, with some limitations. The most common is that a homeowner cannot pull an electrical permit (note he says the electrician will pull the electrical permit). So..... When he acts as your agent (you would probably have to sign a document to allow him to do this) many things like liability insurance and workmens comp insurance can fall on your shoulders, not his. Verify this carefully. If there is a construction accident or a worker gets injured you don't want to find out you are responsible. Depending on the scope of the project I have askled for copies of current liability and workmens comp insurance policies and in one case I remember even asking that the contractor provide a rider showing me as an additional insured on the policy.

thank for the feedback, tim. Regarding the robot vs. booster pump / pressure side cleaner, does it make sense to do both? I.e. use the robot but in the event the robot fails or next owner doesn't want robot, the traditional equipment is still there?

thank for the feedback, tim. Regarding the robot vs. booster pump / pressure side cleaner, does it make sense to do both? I.e. use the robot but in the event the robot fails or next owner doesn't want robot, the traditional equipment is still there?
If you do it tahat way you are paying twice. If you decide to go robot at least have him pipe for a pressure cleaner and plug it in the pool and at the equipment pad.

When I bought my house the pipe was there and I decided to go with a robot. But, a future owner can add the pump and they will be in business.

hubbard,

It would cost next to nothing to add the PVC pressure line between the pool and the equipment pad. Doesn't make sense to me to buy the booster pump or cleaner unless you plan to use them. There are still a ton of people that use pressure side cleaners.. If that is what you want, go for it. Just throwing out ideas for you to be aware of.

I reread the SOW.. I had "assumed" that the pump was a VS pump, but maybe it is not after all. I would highly recommend a VS pump. My total cost to run my pump, 24/7, is less than $15 a month. With a single speed pump, I'd be paying more like $100 a month.

Also, I'd get the bigger filter.. The bigger the filter that longer they can run before they need to be cleaned.

And finally... make very sure that the Salt Water Chlorine Generator (SWCG) is big enough for your pool. At a minimum it needs to be rated for 2 X the pool's volume. (A 20K gallon pool needs at least a 40K gallon SWCG.)

Jim R.

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
i have asked for part numbers. We just got moving forward again after getting the retaining wall spec'd and priced. We live on a an interesting lot with some decent elevation changes. These pics arent the best but they show the area and elevation challenges. The first pic is take from the side where the spa will be. The second is from the bottom of the hill, close to where the retaining wall will be built ... the goal is to get a quasi-infiniti edge pool that looks into the wooded area, We could have done it without the retaining wall and just used a thicker rear wall but that would have resulted in a 10-12 foot drop. Didnt want that "feature" with kids :)

byard1.jpgbyard2.jpg

What an interesting property! That is quite a drop there. Yeah that would NOT be a good idea with kids. We all KNOW they would try to jump off it at least once or push another one off :rolleyes: LOL

The view you will have=awesome! Do you have many critters that come visit from the woods?

Kim:kim:

Your lot reminds me of ours before the pool install. Serious slope!

How deep is your deep end going to be? This "jumping" rock you mention is going to be used for diving as teens *will* do... is the pool deep enough for that? Must consider safety- if the pool isn't deep enough for diving I'd just lose the rock entirely. Folks can "jump in " from any point without it.

Make sure you have an electric outlet near enough to the pool (near equipment pad often) for a robot cleaner. If possible have a hose line run down near there too for future showers or just to water flowers around the pool. Anything you can do while the yard is all dug up will save you money later.

Yippee :flower:

Great looking plans! I did new build in Monroe, GA this past spring, so same weather as you. Some comments.

Make sure they quote specific model of salt water chlorine generator (SWG) and not a generic term. As stated, it should be rated at least 2x the pool size. My original SWG installed with our build was rated for 20,000 gallons for our 19,000 gallon pool. By June it could not keep up and I was forced to add liquid chlorine until I replaced it with one now which is rated for 52,000 gallons.

A heater will be nice to extend the season, but if you get a lot of direct sunlight, then cooling the pool will be an issue. I get full sun for most of the day (i.e 8:30-6:30 in summer) and the water can easily get into low-to-mid 90s, which for me and family, not very refreshing. I did not want to spend the $$ to install a chiller or heater/chiller combo right now, so found some inexpensive fountains that attach to my returns. Two of these running overnight bring the pool down to about 78 and gets up to about 82 by the evening. Had I known this was going to be an issue I would have built a couple of return in my pool deck where I could plug in these fountains and control with a value. That way I could use in hot months and remove when not in use (would want cover plugs so holes not there when not in use). So you may want to consider a combination heater/chiller.

Definitely recommend variable speed pump. It seems like that is what is called out for your build, but would make sure to get model in writing.

Would highly recommend a high quality surge protector be installed at the electrical sub-panel for the pool equipment. We get a lot of lightning here, so well worth it. I installed the Square D HEPD80 myself, for under $100.

Your lot reminds me of ours before the pool install. Serious slope!

How deep is your deep end going to be? This "jumping" rock you mention is going to be used for diving as teens *will* do... is the pool deep enough for that? Must consider safety- if the pool isn't deep enough for diving I'd just lose the rock entirely. Folks can "jump in " from any point without it.

Make sure you have an electric outlet near enough to the pool (near equipment pad often) for a robot cleaner. If possible have a hose line run down near there too for future showers or just to water flowers around the pool. Anything you can do while the yard is all dug up will save you money later.

Yippee :flower:

Yes, the deep end will be 8' - the original design came in at 6' but since we wanted a diving rock, they extended the pool length and added depth.

I like the idea of a hose bib near the pool deck. We have one at the rear of the house which will be about 20' from the pool so we should be ok but never hurts to add another, right?

We definitely want some power near the deck to run music, lights, blenders, etc.

Nice looking build. You are in the right place to learn about pools. I didn't see any umbrella sleeves. Just a thought to add those into the plans where you want. I don't think they are expensive unless you wait until after concrete is in.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.