Thoughts on Jandy equipment

Jun 1, 2017
Gilbert, AZ
Does anyone have Jandy equipment? What are your thoughts on it? How does it compare to Pentair and Hayward? I've tried researching it, but I can't find much. It seems like there is a lot on Pentair and Hayward, but not much on Jandy. Please let me know what everyone thinks about Jandy.

(We are building a new pool 35,000+ gallons and we have the option to do Pentair or Jandy).

Thanks

I had Jandy equipment at my previous house. I have Hayward now. In general, Hayward and Pentair are the best out there. In my experience, the gap between Jandy and the top ones is pretty large. In 2 years of owning Jandy equipment, I had to replace chlorinator twice, filter housing once, and I had 4 warranty service calls on one of my pump motors. In 3+ years of Hayward ownership, I've done nothing but annually clean my cartridges and swim in my pool.

Run--don't walk--from the Jandy. Choose Pentair and enjoy your pool.

I've had Waterway, Hayward, and now Jandy equipment. Never a problem with any of them. I now have a heater with the Jandy stuff but it's Raypak. I don't use automation so I can easily mix and match. In fact I really liked the Waterway, it seems it's just not too popular.

Jay, for the chlorinator, you mean the type that houses pucks? If so that stinks b/c they are just simple pieces of plastic.

From my research, any of the big 3 (Jandy, Pentair, Hayward) will do a good job. From my research Pentair is the most reliable, but also tends to be the most expensive. Jandy had some problems with reliability a few years back but seem to have fixed those. The top 3 pool builders in my area all use Jandy equipment. One thing worth noting is that if you are using a SWG that the largest one Jandy offer is good for 40,000 gallons vs Pentair who offers a 60,000 gallon model (which would be significant in a pool over 35,000 gallons). If going with automation you should get a demo of both systems and see which automation interface you like better. The pool we are putting in has Jandy equipment and I have talked to many people in my area who like (and have had no problems with) their Jandy equipment. I wouldn't worry about putting Jandy in, but I do think unless you like Jandy automation better, or there is a massive price difference, I would go with Pentair.

Jay, for the chlorinator, you mean the type that houses pucks? If so that stinks b/c they are just simple pieces of plastic.

By "chlorinator", I am referring to the SWG. My Jandy unit didn't work very well, and I had to replace the circuit board twice in less than 2 years. Jandy customer service was not very responsive and at one point even told me to stop bothering them. The guy who bought the house from me has had to do major service to both pumps. From personal experience, I cannot recommend Jandy.

Im all Jandy (including automation) and I love it. I was a mechanical contractor for many years and after reviewing the cut sheets, I liked their equipment best... especially the induced draft heater. Plus it just flat our looks the best. I did owner builder for my pool and even called Jandy a couple of times to help with sizing and the guys were very helpful.
The key - with a lot of pool pump/mechanical equipment - is to get it operating at the middle of its range. If you can "get by" by running at the upper end of the single pump curve, consider using two pumps that run more in the sweet spot. Piping is really more critical than the equipment. Make sure you get a good pool plumber that understands flow dynamics and not "cram and jam".

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.