Thoughts on Dolphin drive gear slippage

Apr 30, 2021
Austin, TX
Hey folks,

I've been chasing a slipping drive gear issue with my s300i for awhile now. I replaced the drive gear twice and re-shimmed the belt wheel that is driven by the drive gear and eventually replaced the entire wheel and bushing

Here's my thoughts:
I think the failing drive gear is not always the problem but can be a symptom.

The motor unit is only located by the bottom chassis and two screws. The screw posts are super wimpy loosy goosy so the only thing holding the drive unit in pace is the tab at the front of the drive unit and a U shaped area on the right of the unit where the drive unit exits the chassis. What I think is happening is the chassis is wearing out causing the drive gear to be deflected inward towards the center of the belt drive wheel causing it to skip and eventually wear down. If you have a gear wear down and your wheel hub isn't totally worn out, odds are your chassis is worn out.

IMG20230623205110.jpg

Its hard to see in the picture but at the bottom of the U on the left hand side you can see some texture where the wear is. If you see it in real life you can see the chassis has been worn away in that area creating a recession where the drive unit can slide forward in.

In the following videos you can see how unconstrained the drive unit is and how that causes the gear not to mesh correctly:

In the second video keep in mind the belt wheel, the drive gear and the belt wheel bushing are all brand new and yet aren't enough to allow the gear to mesh without skipping.

This could probably be solved by wedging the motor backwards but maybe figuring out a better tension system to pull the drive side of the motor back and create a more positive mesh would be a better solution. Anyways I ordered a new chassis because there was one in stock so I'm not looking for a solution, just putting this out there for all ya'll.

If you need a new drive gear I do have a model up for that on Thingiverse

Now you can buy them again it probably won't be super necessary though!

I think the gears are garbage.

Having the same issue and am currently waiting on 2 new front drive wheels and bushings. I have not been able to find the 9983142 drive gear, seems to be on lengthy backorder from the sites where I could find it. Does anyone have an idea where I can buy the 9983142 drive gear?

I just wrote to your other thread. But I just wrote Pool Supply Unlimited and asked if they were truly charging $25 for shipping.

Thanks for the excellent post, photos, and videos. I'm new to Dolphin, inherited an old s200 when I bought a house with a pool. It would start and stop, and I checked all the popular things to check on youtube, and their dolphin troubleshooter. Impeller clean, tracks free of debri, motor run and gears run, but the drive wheel was shaky/iffy. It seemed to be struggling. No where in the Dolphin troubleshooting guide did it mention replacing gears that I saw. The chassis makes sense, but I was disappointed that the wheel itself seems to be loosey. Not a snug fit to the axle.

I'm not much of a handyman, but have it all apart, and may try replacing the gears involved. (Seems like if they just made a larger diameter gear the fit would be so much better.) Thanks again for all the info, this was exactly what I think I needed to find.