New Jersey
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
First, I understand why we should have higher CYA in a salt pool, it helps with keeping the FC and it doesn't tax the SWG.

What I noticed in my pool with it covered 95% of the time I'm not losing chlorine that fast. My last CYA test was 50 and I can go days without adding more liquid chlorine. It got me thinking that since my CYA is 50 and the solar cover is on all the time that I don't need to keep the CYA at 80. If I ever need to SLAM it would be less chlorine at 50 CYA then 80.

Just wondering what your thoughts are on this.

Vinny,

As long at your CYA is 30 ppm, then there is no reason to increase it other than to reduce your FC usage..

You need 30 ppm of CYA to eliminate any harshness from the chlorine, but after that, your CYA level is completely up to you.. And your FC demand.. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: VinnyinNJ
Vinny,

As long at your CYA is 30 ppm, then there is no reason to increase it other than to reduce your FC usage..

You need 30 ppm of CYA to eliminate any harshness from the chlorine, but after that, your CYA level is completely up to you.. And your FC demand.. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks Jim,

I know about the 30 PPM CYA. I was thinking along the lines of 50 CYA + solar cover = 100+ CYA. I do prefer to run the SWG longer (when I do eventually turn it on 🙂) vs higher % so if I find the chlorine is leaving too quickly, I'll bump up the CYA.

For my aquarite, it changes polarity every 3 hours, so I run it in multiples of 6 hours, ie 6, 12, 18 or 24.
Otherwise, it will be running at one polarity longer than the other one.
Right now I'm running for 12 hours, and I adjust the output percent as required.
Not sure if the aquatrol has the same cycle timing.

Reactions: VinnyinNJ
For my aquarite, it changes polarity every 3 hours, so I run it in multiples of 6 hours, ie 6, 12, 18 or 24.
Otherwise, it will be running at one polarity longer than the other one.
Right now I'm running for 12 hours, and I adjust the output percent as required.
Not sure if the aquatrol has the same cycle timing.
Thanks for this, I wasn't thinking in these terms. I think they're basically the same device internally. I'll check the run time before turning it on and make sure to use multiples of 6.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.