Those with fire features/bowls - Do you use them

We just converted our firepit to natural gas while our build was happening. Our gas installer said for firepits, most of his clients opt for manual ignition since the cost is so much more for auto igniters. So far, we're very happy with it. An extra 30 seconds to grab the key valve and lighter is worth the few thousand dollar savings to me.

Reactions: Ahultin
Okay, I am knee deep on this project and have hit decision time : 1, 2 or 3 bowls??

Gas capacity is no issue, i have completed the 1st portion of the rough work and have well over 1m btu capacity.

I came across a deal I could not pass up on a copper fire/water bowl ($550)
A single bowl centered on the rbb would be the copper bowl
20230502_120041.jpg

2 bowls I would either go at the spa and at the waterfall , or because my brain really likes symmetry, the right one centered over the wall seat below and the left one equadistant from the spa. While I "think" this is my favorite, it poses the challange that after buying the first bowl for 75% off, I'd have an issue paying full price for a second lol
20230509_165230.jpg

3 bowls has the advantage in that I could use the fire/water bowl center , then go with a complimentary but much cheaper fire only bowl on the outer columns. I would also be able to setup for this even if we held off on the actual bowl purchase for the 2nd and 3rd until I found another smoking deal lol. I do fear that three is to cluttered though
20230507_164521.jpg20230507_164428.jpg

I did also explore putting them straight on the bond beam with no column but that creates a plumbing puzzle - not impossible but not easy.
20230426_163615.jpg20230426_134000.jpg20230502_114441.jpg
20230502_114313.jpg

@kimkats I know you like fire lol so I would love your opinion!

Attachments

• 20230507_164430.jpg
    20230507_164430.jpg
    529.1 KB · Views: 2
In my opinion 2 on pillars are your best bet. 1 and 3 are odd numbers (thanks captain obvious) and I do not think you have enough beam for 3 since you will see every minor difference in flame height or color. These produce quite a bit of light and the rise over the beam will make a glow over the backyard. I planned on 4 originally but happily I decided on only 2.

Reactions: Ahultin
These produce quite a bit of light and the rise over the beam will make a glow over the backyard
Hmm, that presents another thought. The bowl I purchased has a 12" burner and I have a light at either end of the rbb angled up towards center that washes the wall. 3 columns, 1 fire/water bowl centered and two flower pots flanking?
20220626_221351.jpg20220709_203351.jpg20220626_221409.jpg

Love the one you have! That is so pretty. I do like the pillar look over the flat on the coping look.

In the decorating world you work with odd numbers. 1 or 3 is the way to go. I like the look of 3 the best. Here is one thing I could do if you do go for 3. Have the fire/water one a bit higher than the other two. That will really showcase it.

Now for the mama bear in me. Do NOT put the fire bowl over the bench. The only thing I could think of is someone sitting there and somehow (don't ask me how LOL) the fire getting them.

These draw your eye to them. A single bowl may be a stare magnet which is fine when you are sitting around a fire pit but two will force you to take it all in.
So maybe three to balance but with smaller burners on the outer two so they dont need to match
Do NOT put the fire bowl over the bench. The only thing I could think of is someone sitting there and somehow
lol I feel you. The bond beam is @4ft there plus another @2ft for the column and the bowl is @14" so even standing on the bench they would not be close to the fire.

Reactions: kimkats
I stand by the opinion of 2. Keep in mind that the smaller burner creates a taller flame. Despite your best efforts I think you are going to find that at some point that back wall will have pedestrians and a couple of pillars will help to keep folks off it. Also, keep in mind that anything that can be used as a hand hold on that wall like a fire/water bowl will be an irresistible grabbing point so plan accordingly.

If you only use 2 then they will need to match.Three you can get away with the outside two being different than the middle one.

I do agree making the higher so they don't get used as hand holds. That is a very good point!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.