This is why you bond your pool and equipment!

Now im baffled on all this.

My pool was bonded as follows.

1. #8 bare copper continuously around the pool about 15" out.
2. #8 bare copper attached to metal panel with copper connector 4 places on each side spaced equally and 2 on each end.
3. Wire attached to pool walls connects to the continuous loop.
4. Metal ladder is in brass cups (I think brass or copper, dont remember which). Cups are attached to bond loop and set in concrete.
5. Light niche outside connection attached to bond loop.
6. dry box above ground where light connects attached to bond loop.
7. Bond loop attached to pump and I think control panel box on outside.
8. Bond loop attached to zinc anode.

Bond is NOT attached to any rebar. I have no rebar in the concrete. I have a very thin layer of concrete with pavers overtop. Inspector had no issue with this. Is it because the ladder is in brass cups and the brass cups are attached to the bond loop? Inspector was quite happy I used the metal cups rather than the plastic.

Everything looks in good order here. Some things exceed code and there is nothing wrong with that The fact that there is no rebar in the concrete has been addressed by the copper wire running under the slab. Here is an excerpt from the NEC code book covering this. I bolded and underlined the section.

(1) Conductive Pool Shells. Bonding to conductive pool shells shall be provided as specified in 680.26(B)(1)(a) or (B)(1)(b). Poured concrete, pneumatically applied or sprayed concrete, and concrete block with painted or plastered coatings shall all be considered conductive materials due to water permeability and porosity. Vinyl liners and fiberglass composite shells shall be considered to be nonconductive materials.

(a) Structural Reinforcing Steel. Unencapsulated structural reinforcing steel shall be bonded together by steel tie wires or the equivalent. Where structural reinforcing steel is encapsulated in a nonconductive compound, a copper conductor grid shall be installed in accordance with 680.26(B)(1)(b).

(b) Copper Conductor Grid. A copper conductor grid shall be provided and shall comply with (b)(1) through (b)(4).
1.Be constructed of minimum 8 AWG bare solid copper conductors bonded to each other at all points of crossing. The bonding shall be in accordance with 250.8 or other approved means.
2.Conform to the contour of the pool
3.Be arranged in a 300-mm (J2-in.) by 300-mm (12-in.) network of conductors in a uniformly spaced perpendicular grid pattern with a tolerance of 100 mm (4 in.)
4.Be secured within or under the pool no more than 150 mm (6 in.) from the outer contour of the pool shell

(2) Perimeter Surfaces. The perimeter surface shall extend for 1 m (3 ft) horizontally beyond the inside walls of the pool and shall include unpaved surfaces, as well as poured concrete surfaces and other types of paving. Perimeter surfaces less than 1 m (3 ft) separated by a permanent wall or building 1.5 m (5 ft) in height or more shall require equipotential bonding on the pool side of the permanent wall or building. Bonding to perimeter surfaces shall be provided as specified in 680.26(B)(2)(a) or (2)(b) and shall be attached to the pool reinforcing steel or copper conductor grid at a minimum of four (4) points uniformly spaced around the perimeter of the pool. For nonconductive pool shells, bonding at four points shall not be required.

(a) Structural Reinforcing Steel. Structural reinforcing steel shall be bonded in accordance with 680.26(B)(1)(a).

(b) Alternate Means. Where structural reinforcing steel is not available or is encapsulated in a nonconductive compound, a copper conductor(s) shall be utilized where the following requirements are met:
1.At least one minimum 8 AWG bare solid copper conductor shall be provided.
2.The conductors shall follow the contour of the perimeter surface.
3.Only listed splices shall be permitted.
4.The required conductor shall be 450 mm to 600 mm (18 in. to 24 in.) from the inside walls of the pool.
5.The required conductor shall be secured within or under the perimeter surface 100 mm to 150 mm (4 in. to 6 in.) below the subgrade.

Everything looks in good order here. Some things exceed code and there is nothing wrong with that The fact that there is no rebar in the concrete has been addressed by the copper wire running under the slab. Here is an excerpt from the NEC code book covering this. I bolded and underlined the section.

Ahhh, that makes sense then!!

Thanks.

i still dont know if we will have rebar in our concrete deck when its poured or not. if not, I dont see why a big loop of #6 wire laid down on top of some wooden stakes to where it is suspended in the middle of the concrete connected at 2 points to the pool bonding grid wont accomplish the same thing. i can do that just before they pour it.

The rebar or other bonding grid requirements for pool decks were developed as a result of detailed, formal testing and analysis. Unless one is an electrical engineer with a substantial background in electrical safety planning, I don't think it's good idea to shortcut the standard by doing something different and saying you can't see anything wrong with it. You may be right, but you may also be wrong and the implications of that can be life threatening.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.