This is why we say "Its not safe to swim if you can't see the bottom"

How terribly sad! I have always been a vigilant swim safety girl - lessons, gates, etc. My kids were not allowed to go swim anywhere whithout me until they could swim the length of our pool and back with no troubles. It amazed me when a friend of ours sent her daughter with us to a swim party and didn't tell me her 9yo daughter couldn't swim. I was totally freaked the entire time. However, all that aside, despite being Ms. Safety, I hadn't thought about the murkiness as unsafe for the reasons of not seeing someone. I had always thought of it as a sanitary issue. Thanks for posting a good reminder.

It has happened again. Two boys are hospitalized, but their sister died because nobody could see her at the bottom of the pool.

News video from Dallas, TX

Please, never let your children swim in a cloudy pool. And if you see a public pool that is cloudy enough that you can't see the floor drains, call the Department of Health to close the pool down. You could be saving a life.

Re: This is why we say "Its not safe to swim if you can't see the bottom"

so sad. makes me mad seeing kids die because of ignorant parents.

- - - Updated - - -

so sad. makes me mad seeing kids die because of ignorant parents.

Reminds me of when I almost drowned as a small child. We were at a party and I was doing what little kids do, clinging to the coping and inching my way around the pool to see how far I could get before my feet didn't touch. Suddenly the bottom wasn't there anymore and I couldn't hold myself up on the coping. I remember slipping under the water and just looking up at the sky from underwater. For some lucky reason I had enough wits about to walk on the bottom towards the shallow end until I could stick my nose out of the water and breathe. I wasn't scared then, but remembering it gives me chills. The way I didn't make a sound, didn't flail, or make any sign I was in trouble is what scares me the most.

Did any of the adults even know you were in any kind of trouble? If so when did they notice?

I was walking out in a river when all of the sudden the ground was GONE! No one knew the area and had any idea that there was a steep drop off in that area.

I do remember looking back towards the shore where my step dad was as I was being carried down the river. I saw him kick off his shoes and dive right in to get me. He had always been my hero but ..................he sure was after that!

Kim

In addition to this tragedy, everyone needs to be aware of Dry Drowning. I saw where a young boy died from this last week or so. I had never heard of this.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/kids-can-drown-hours-after-swimming-experts-say/

- - - Updated - - -

In addition to this tragedy, everyone needs to be aware of Dry Drowning. I saw where a young boy died from this last week or so. I had never heard of this.

Sad, sad story there. I feel sure there will be financial repercussions at some point for the pool owner. As a lifeguard and lessons instructor of 40 years, I wish more people understood the true signs of drowning, instead of expecting people to splash around and yell for help if they get into trouble. I teach kiddos as young as 2, and in the first session of lessons we discuss what to do if they accidentally find themselves in deep water, and I try to impart some skills to them that could save their life or at least keep them afloat until an adult can get to them. I hate floatees that give children a false sense of security. They need to know what their body feels like without any flotation device when they are in water over their heads.

Reminds me of when I almost drowned as a small child. We were at a party and I was doing what little kids do, clinging to the coping and inching my way around the pool to see how far I could get before my feet didn't touch. Suddenly the bottom wasn't there anymore and I couldn't hold myself up on the coping. I remember slipping under the water and just looking up at the sky from underwater. For some lucky reason I had enough wits about to walk on the bottom towards the shallow end until I could stick my nose out of the water and breathe. I wasn't scared then, but remembering it gives me chills. The way I didn't make a sound, didn't flail, or make any sign I was in trouble is what scares me the most.

I bet that is a terrible memory. Drowning is a scary thing. It's so silent. Not like movie portrayals. People, kids or adults, just slip under and are too terrified to do anything. They don't splash. They are just underwater. When I was about 7 I did a toothpick, or whatever people call it these days, off a high dive into 12ft of water at a public pool. There was a huge drain under each diving board. I had my eyes closed and was waiting to surface, but didn't feel like I was going up. I opened my eyes and I was just standing on the main drain not moving. I pushed off and went up to the surface. The safety drains required now are a very good thing, and I'm especially thankful for that legislation. It's a shame a tragedy had to cause it to come into effect. When we bought our house/pool last year I wasn't aware of the legislation, I just knew I had two drains. The first thing I did before I would let my kids in the pool was turn the pump to pull only from the main drains. I went down and laid across one drain and felt around the other one. There was no noticeable suction, so my mind was put at ease knowing that even if it was set up that was there was little to no chance of entrapment. I don't want anyone to experience what I did even though my experience wasn't as bad as others who were truly stuck on a drain and couldn't escape. I am a pool safety nazi. Too much danger in the world to subject anyone to injury from an activity that should only be fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did any of the adults even know you were in any kind of trouble? If so when did they notice?

I was walking out in a river when all of the sudden the ground was GONE! No one knew the area and had any idea that there was a steep drop off in that area.

I do remember looking back towards the shore where my step dad was as I was being carried down the river. I saw him kick off his shoes and dive right in to get me. He had always been my hero but ..................he sure was after that!

Kim

That's a sweet story Kim. Always good to have a dad that's a hero. Mine wasn't. I always fear the day I'll have to jump in to save someone, but I'm always at the ready just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When this was on the news the other night, I called my daughter into the room. I wanted to reiterate our rules (I didn't need to, but she's only 7 and a reminder never hurts) and why we made them regarding the pool. I also wanted her to see and hear it for herself, that kids (and adults) do drown, and it can happen in the blink of an eye.

Our rules for her are simple - if she is in the pool either myself or my wife has to be watching her, and if we have to do something else or go inside even for a minute, she has to get out and wait for us to come back, and absolutely no going in if for some reason we can't see the bottom.

She's been told several times, but it was another chance to drive that point home. This is why we have those rules. If we aren't watching, then if something happens we probably can't get to her in time. And if we can't see the bottom, we may not know anything is wrong until it's too late. Especially as much time as she spends underwater! She's a very good swimmer, especially for her age. But you just never know...

Btw, these rules also apply anywhere else she swims. An adult we trust has to be watching her, and if their pool isn't up to our standards, no swimming. If they get their feelings hurt over why we won't let her in...too bad.

I have a 5 year old daughter that is my world and we have the same rules. We have our pool in a fenced in area that she isn't allowed into without her mom or me and there is definitely no getting in the pool without her mom or me. I am a big believer in constantly reinforcing these rules so she hears them all the time. I hadn't really thought about applying those rules outside of our home but I will now. Thanks for the reminder. While she is very seldom away from us or somewhere else where they have a pool I will still have a discussion with her about this.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

- - - Updated - - -

Kids can drown hours after leaving the pool, experts say - CBS News

Ive heard of that and heard it referred to as secondary drowning too. gotta be careful with pools and kids. cant ever let your guard down

The lifeguard couldn't swim or do cpr. You can't make that kind of stuff up. That's ridiculous!

/QUOTE]

UNREAL! That cannot be true! BUT...............I guess it is :(

When I was a teen I was a lifeguard and swim instructor. We had to PROVE we could swim before we could even apply for the jobs AND we had to do weekly tests to make sure our skills were sharp!

Kim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.