This is what happens when you close your pool and go on vacation for three weeks.

AboveGroundInflatable

Jun 23, 2020
California
Opened the pool in mid-June and promptly took the family on vacation in mid-July. I opted to cover our small above ground pool and leave my SWG running on a shorter than normal schedule, just to ensure the water wouldn't be overrun by algae upon my return. Three weeks later, the water was crystal clear except for a small amount of fine sediment at the bottom. Looks like I misjudged the potential chlorine loss though. :)

I'm sure it'll be fine in a couple days once the sun has had its way with the chemicals. Regardless, I was quite proud that I managed to stave off an algae/critter takeover with nothing more than a pool cover, some shrink wrap, and running the SWG for two hours a day.

D868CEBC-65F1-40F0-BFD2-CCC4C4B7CCE7_1_105_c.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: JamesW and mknauss
No harm done with high FC and pH for a few weeks when no one is in the pool.

I am also leaving for 10 days later this month.

My plan is to go to SLAM level on liquid chlorine and put some chlorine tabs in a floater. Hopefully this will keep chlorine at a reasonable level until we are back. Not sure what else I can do...I did this June when we were away for a week and it seemed to work OK.

I am actually also a little concerned about water evaporation. In mid summer temps here 80s - 90s I have been filling once a week for last month. Here I think I will just fill a bit more than normal. Again not sure I have another option.

Good question. The answer is actually zero CYA. I was in a bit of a hurry when I opened my pool and forgot to add any CYA.

Now comes the extremely tedious step of adding dry stabilizer that absolutely refuses to dissolve in my pool water...
Are you using the sock method 🧦?
A half a pound should dissolve pretty quickly if the water is warm at all.

Reactions: Vandergraff

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.