Thinking to switch to salt

That must be one deep pool.

How is it chlorinated now? In the construction forum a member built a lap pool last year. They put in pumps to auto chlorinate and auto dose acid. It may be more economical then 2 or 3 swcg. Circupool has one that will be 60k. This place has a sale for a $4 upgrade right now but you would still need 3 of them to be sized right.

https://www.discountsaltpool.com/CircuPool-RJ-45-PLUS-Salt-Chlorine-Generator_p_232.html

Hayward has commercial sized SWGs that would work. Quite spendy though. Given we suggest sizing for 2-3x the pool size, that would be looking at SWGs up around 200k

That must be one deep pool.

How is it chlorinated now? In the construction forum a member built a lap pool last year. They put in pumps to auto chlorinate and auto dose acid. It may be more economical then 2 or 3 swcg. Circupool has one that will be 60k. This place has a sale for a $4 upgrade right now but you would still need 3 of them to be sized right.

https://www.discountsaltpool.com/CircuPool-RJ-45-PLUS-Salt-Chlorine-Generator_p_232.html
You may not like the answer. How is it chlorinated ? To maintain this 90,000 to 118,000 pool that is in the sun from 6 am to 6 pm and water temp is at 90 right now. I start with and alway keep 3 - 3 inch taps in a submarine at the deep end 91/2 ft deep. She stays down until I refill in about every 10 days. I use liquid chlorine I buy at the dollar store for $1 buck per gallon. That about it. My numbers are spot on. Then to shock it every 10 days or so I use super shock made my new haven - liquid. Right now my numbers are. Hardness 250 total chlorine 3 free chlorine 3 ph 7.5 total alkaline 80 CYA 100 and if my CYA goes above 150 I vacuum the pool with my vacuum 1 hp I made and dump 2 to 3 inch out. This pool I’m adding 400 to 600 gallons of water a day ! We live in East Quogue Long Island 1 block from the ocean don’t know why but living close to ocean we get a lot of evaporation. I keep a hose in this pool on sprinkle from 8 am to 7 pm every day. There are no leaks. I had pipes pressure tested.

Wow, that's a lot of work. To make it simple, I would estimate the costs to chlorinate your pool over 5 years, and compare that to the upfront cost of installing multiple SWCGs. I would bet that you would save money running the salt cells. Honestly, though, time is money, and I would pay double, maybe even triple, what my SWCG cost for the convenience that it offers.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I agree with the convenience factor of SWG. It’s really a set it and forget it device. As long as the pool is holding the chlorine at the right level, everything is good. There is going to be a pretty big initial cost of salt - guessing between $500-750, but then will probably only need a few bags each year to replace any that splashed out.

What are you currently using for chlorine? If Liquid, you will already have a fair amount of salt in the pool. If you have zero salt in your pool, you can calculate 90,000 gallons needing 45 x 50 lbs (2,250 lbs) of salt to get to 3,000 ppm (most manufacturers recommended level of salinity).
Really though, the gallons of water only means that you'll need multiple cells (or as one recommended, a commercial system/cell). I've installed systems on commercial pools with over a million gallons.

What are you currently using for chlorine? If Liquid, you will already have a fair amount of salt in the pool. If you have zero salt in your pool, you can calculate 90,000 gallons needing 45 x 50 lbs (2,250 lbs) of salt to get to 3,000 ppm (most manufacturers recommended level of salinity).
Really though, the gallons of water only means that you'll need multiple cells (or as one recommended, a commercial system/cell). I've installed systems on commercial pools with over a million gallons.
Do you live in New York? I’m just now reading and learning about SWG. I have no problem spending a $1000 for this system. As long as it works. I never have green water even when I open the pool. I have not read how to winterize using SWG. You still need to use alg 60?

The ic60 is no where near big enough. 2 of them would be pushing it, 3 would be better. I think a SWG setup is going to be in the $3-5k range for a pool this big.

Does the $1 bleach list a strength? If not it is way low and likely a waste of money. The liquid shock may be a better deal for the daily maintenance. And if you properly or maintain the chlorine levels for your cya level, then there is no need for your "shock treatment" on a regular basis.

Wow, that's a lot of work. To make it simple, I would estimate the costs to chlorinate your pool over 5 years, and compare that to the upfront cost of installing multiple SWCGs. I would bet that you would save money running the salt cells. Honestly, though, time is money, and I would pay double, maybe even triple, what my SWCG cost for the convenience that it offers.
I bought 50 lb of 3 inch taps two years ago and still have 1/2 left. Cost $80. I bought 12 alg -60 2 years ago - cost $100 - one cases -6 gallons of super shock per year $35 about $150 a season it’s costing me. My Ph I use 50 lb bag soda ash. I used it 2 x. The ph never goes high. $150 is not bad. The filters are $300 but I have 2 sets and found out they last longer by using one set for spring opening pool then pull them- wash and put them away till next season. By rotating them I should get years of service. $150 a season it’s costing me. I run the pump at 3400 RPM for 1 hour in AM. Then pump goes down to 2200 till 4 pm even lower if it’s not windy out. Never use the heat from June to close. May we may use heater once. It’s Realy not bad. It’s the time spent that costs but I’m retired. I enjoy doing it. The only reason I’m looking to go salt is my son. He doesn’t like his kids in the pool if chlorine is over 2. That’s hard to do with this size pool.

Even if using the SWG, you still need acid and bleach just in case you have a high bathe load. I would really suggest building 2 holding tanks and plum them to your return line on opposite sides of the pool. You can have truck delivered bleach and acid to fill the holding tanks( dont know USA guidelines for this), cheaper than gallon bottles. Stenner pumps are more hands free than most people think, if you change the silicone line every year.

Felipe

Three tablets over 10 days is not doing anything to a pool that size. You think they're helping, but in reality their influence is negligible.

Using PoolMath, when the three tablets have dissolved, they have added 1.8ppm of FC and 1.1ppm of CYA. That is less than the typical daily requirement for chlorine.

By the way it sounds like your son is misguided as far as harmful chlorine levels. But his beliefs are typical of the propaganda perpetuated by the pool industry.

Do you live in New York? I’m just now reading and learning about SWG. I have no problem spending a $1000 for this system. As long as it works. I never have green water even when I open the pool. I have not read how to winterize using SWG. You still need to use alg 60?
I live in South Florida, but we have many salt systems in New York. The system will most likely be more than $1000, as you will need to make sure it's sized properly, and to your pool usage.
Is it indoor or outdoor? Do you have dogs that use it? A lot of kids that use it? Water features? How many hours per day is the pump running? How much chlorine do you use now?
All these will factor in to how much chlorine is needed... and may require a much larger system than just two swg rated for up to 50,000 gallons each.

Winterizing is done in your normal fashion... just drain out the water from the cell. If you want to remove and store indoors, there are dummy cells available (or you can make your own). Regarding any other ancillary chemicals (algae60), you can still use it, if you want to. Just avoid any chemicals containing sodium bromide (most yellow or mustard algae treatments).

Three tablets over 10 days is not doing anything to a pool that size. You think they're helping, but in reality their influence is negligible.

Using PoolMath, when the three tablets have dissolved, they have added 1.8ppm of FC and 1.1ppm of CYA. That is less than the typical daily requirement for chlorine.

By the way it sounds like your son is misguided as far as harmful chlorine levels. But his beliefs are typical of the propaganda perpetuated by the pool industry.
The submarine is at 91/2 ft deep. The first year when I didn’t use it the bottom at deep end and the slop from 4 ft to 9 ft was always green and I had to brush it all the time. I think the liquid chlorine was not going down deep. Now with this submarine I have not had any green bottom. You can smell it if you dive deep in that spot. It works for me. Yes, these young kids don’t know sxxx! They eat this healthy cardboard for breakfast. Lol

If I was you I would get 2 60k gallon rated SWCG units and see what that does for you. Install them in parallel. Perhaps plumb for a 3rd if needed. With your location, 2 will probably be fine though.

I can tell you though your FC is already too low and with a saltwater pool generally you keep it higher since FC is a function of CYA levels and with SW your CYA is higher (CYA around 70 for SW). This site's advice works if you follow all of the guidelines and do your own testing with a proper test kit like the TF-100 which has very high quality Taylor reagents. There is no reason for a weekly slam this is only needed for pools that don't follow proper pool care.

If your goal is to lower your chlorine level by switching to saltwater that isn't going to happen.

- - - Updated - - -

The submarine is at 91/2 ft deep. The first year when I didn’t use it the bottom at deep end and the slop from 4 ft to 9 ft was always green and I had to brush it all the time. I think the liquid chlorine was not going down deep. Now with this submarine I have not had any green bottom. You can smell it if you dive deep in that spot. It works for me. Yes, these young kids don’t know sxxx! They eat this healthy cardboard for breakfast. Lol

What is this "submarine" thing? Your water should be properly circulated so it should not matter where you are in your pool it should all be the same.

PICs?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.