Thinking about switching to SWG...

Newerabs

Jul 22, 2015
Eaton Rapids
I think I'm finally ready to make the switch to a SWG this year.

I have a 18' round Summer Wave Above Ground pool (about 7,600 gallons) with an Intex Sand Filter.
This is the SWG I'm thinking of getting: Amazon.com : Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System with E.C.O. (Electrocatalytic Oxidation) for up to 15000-Gallon Above Ground Pools, 110-120V with GFCI : Gateway

So I have a few questions and just want to verify I have the procedure set correctly

I'll be opening my pool on Friday. I'm sure it will be green and nasty. I will shock it with liquid bleach and get my FC levels up and my PH balanced. I use a Taylor K-2006 to test my levels.

So after my pool is nice and clear and levels are good I will hook up the SWG. I know I will need to test the amount of salt I have in my pool at this point. Can I use my K-2006 for that? I know I will have SOME salt in my pool because of the bleach. I've been reading that I will need to get that level up to about 3200 ppm. Which would mean about 300lbs of salt (if I'm at 0). So once I pour salt in my pool, I just need to turn on the SWG and set it to maintain at 3200 and I'm all set?

Also, someone a few years ago told me that a SWG in Michigan is pointless because the weather is not consistency warm enough in the summer and it causes issues with a SWG... is this true? Does the water temperature effect it? It's true in Michigan the weather can get chilly even in the summer and water temperature can fluctuate pretty frequently.

I just want to make sure I understand this before I buy and commit to the SWG.

Once your SLAM is complete and you pass all three criteria, you would then test your salinity, you need a K1766 kit for that, and add the required salt. Then circulate and brush the pool very well to distribute the salt. At that point you can start the SWCG and adjust your CYA to the recommended level. Add liquid chlorine to get your FC to target range.

SWCG do typically stop generating chlorine at water temperatures below 60F. Check the manufacturer of that SWCG for specific data.

new,

Most salt cells do not work when the water temperature is below about 55 degrees...

After you add the salt, wait 24 hours before starting the SWCG..

Just to be clear.. the SWCG does not maintain the salt at 3200.. The SWCG makes chlorine, not saltwater..

If I own another 100 pools, they will all be saltwater pools... just do it!!!

Thanks,

Jim R.

I am wondering about this inexpensive salt water generator as well. I don't think it has a bonding lug and I can not figure out how to attach it to the bonding loop. Is your pool bonded? Many smaller pools are not bonded and it might not be an issue. Has anyone figured out how to bond this SWG? Also I think it has a copper anode and puts copper ions in the pool. Depending on how much copper it puts out, that could be a problem with heavy use.

Thank you for this thread. We've just opened our little pool and I'm researching SWGs for it as well. My reasons are two fold - one, for a softer swimming experience. It seems like all our local leisure centres have switched to SWG and it's so nice compared to a chlorine swim. Second, and this is a minor but true reason - we go away for a week each summer and I felt myself a bit stressed about making sure someone came and dumped a cup of bleach in for us every day. I'm all for the daily maintenance when I'm home - quite enjoy it. But hope the SWG takes away some of the worry when I'm away? Is that a reasonable expectation?

Yes it is reasonable...once you have the swg set to output the right amount for your pool. In other words I wouldn't start it up and go on vacation the next week. ?
make sure you have a timer on the swg . do not run the swg without the pump running. i had 2 swg blow up because pool people did not install a timer. this situation could have killed. my timer turns on the swg after the pump starts !

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.