Thinking about changing over to SWCG!

Thanks for the resource. This site is awesome!!
I actually completed the drain this past weekend. I took it down to about 2" high in the shallow end. The liner was just starting to ripple in places at that point so did not go further. I figured I got about 50% of the water replaced, took a new sample in for assessment and was told the CYA is now 100. (It started pre-drain at 166). I had been hoping for more like 80 but c'est la vie.
I'm contemplating purchasing the CYA removal kit from Natural Chemistry. Any thoughts on that?
Cheers,
Karen
I've never tried CYA removers but we keep it simple here at TFP. Drain/refill is still your best option.

This concerns me:

took a new sample in for assessment and was told the CYA is now 100.

I'm still pretty new here myself, but I was attracted to this site by the fundamental tenet of TFP's do it yourself philosophy. Never trust anyone else's analysis. We are naturally, and rightfully, skeptical of pool store or pool company assertions. They are in it for the money and their sole intention is to sell you products you don't need. Get yourself a TF-100 kit and test the CYA yourself before proceeding. It's really easy once you dive into it and the community is here to guide you every step of the way.

You might want to do a change out of another 20% of your water and retest it when your test kit arrives.

Report back here when you're ready.

Lucas

I've never tried CYA removers but we keep it simple here at TFP. Drain/refill is still your best option.

This concerns me:

I'm still pretty new here myself, but I was attracted to this site by the fundamental tenet of TFP's do it yourself philosophy. Never trust anyone else's analysis. We are naturally, and rightfully, skeptical of pool store or pool company assertions. They are in it for the money and their sole intention is to sell you products you don't need. Get yourself a TF-100 kit and test the CYA yourself before proceeding. It's really easy once you dive into it and the community is here to guide you every step of the way.

You might want to do a change out of another 20% of your water and retest it when your test kit arrives.

Report back here when you're ready.

Lucas
Hey Lucas I was waiting for my Taylor 2006 FAS-DPD test kit to arrive. I sat down and read through the whole book. Super informative!!
So I did the CYA test (diluted because it's so high) and I came up with ~100 so that agrees with the pool store. My chlorine came out at 3.5 with a combined of .5
The pool is clear with these levels so that's a happy thing.
I'm going to use the sanitizer chart to decide how much shock I need to use.
To digress a bit the reason I ended up with CYA in the stratosphere was because my "pool guy" loves to load up my in-line chlorinator with pucks and put it on FULL so the usual chlorine level in the pool was 10+. I think he created a vicious cycle where as the CYA rose more chlorine was needed for the pool to be clear.
Now that I've found this forum I've been able to take more control of my water.
Because our season is so short here (we shut down around labour day) I will try to ride it out using stabilizer free sanitizer when I can and when I am shutting down I will dump more water than I need to.
Thanks so much for your advice Lucas!!

Hey Lucas I was waiting for my Taylor 2006 FAS-DPD test kit to arrive. I sat down and read through the whole book. Super informative!!
So I did the CYA test (diluted because it's so high) and I came up with ~100 so that agrees with the pool store. My chlorine came out at 3.5 with a combined of .5
The pool is clear with these levels so that's a happy thing.
I'm going to use the sanitizer chart to decide how much shock I need to use.
To digress a bit the reason I ended up with CYA in the stratosphere was because my "pool guy" loves to load up my in-line chlorinator with pucks and put it on FULL so the usual chlorine level in the pool was 10+. I think he created a vicious cycle where as the CYA rose more chlorine was needed for the pool to be clear.
Now that I've found this forum I've been able to take more control of my water.
Because our season is so short here (we shut down around labour day) I will try to ride it out using stabilizer free sanitizer when I can and when I am shutting down I will dump more water than I need to.
Thanks so much for your advice Lucas!!
No problem. Congrats on taking control back from the Pool $tore and Pool $ervices! I think you hit the head on the nail by identifying the vicious cycle of tandem CYA/chlorine rise. You may find it difficult to maintain comfortable chlorine levels needed for a safe pool with CYA levels that high, but definitely try to adhere to the table as much as you can. You might also find that your pool guy added copper-based algaecides to help compensate for the inactivated chlorine due to the high CYA. That may explain why your water is still clear with such high CYA levels and such relatively low chlorine levels. I might get crucified for saying this here, but since you're opting to ride out the season with stratospheric CYA, that might be a blessing in disguise in this particular case. If there is copper in your pool, hopefully you will be able to flush some of it out at the same time you are bringing your CYA levels down when you shut it down this fall. Now that you are armed the knowledge base of TFP, I wish you a successful next season. iSalud!

Reactions: Definingk
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.