Think i may need help soon!

I am going to adjust the CYA in the bucket idea............It should still be in the sock even while dissolving it in the bucket. This just allows you to sit down and squeeze the sock instead of having to stand up by the pool and hangg over the side. We do not want to take any chance of any of it not dissolving and sitting on the bottom of the pool when she pours her CYA bucket water into the pool.

Do not worry about TA right now. That is the last thing we tweak once everything else is balanced. It will take some time and MA to "fix" it BUT it is very safe to swim in like it is now.

You ARE really getting the hang of this pool stuff! It has been fun to watch you learn!

:hug:

Kim:cat:

- - - Updated - - -

I would have him add chlorine only for now. You can wait on the CYA until the pool is full. Have him add a 1/c cup of FC for each 1/4 of pool filled. At this line put in 1/2 cup of chlorine, at THIS line put in .............ect.

The FC is the most important to keep the algae at bay and to kill anything that might be in the water from the stuff from before.

Yes. Definitely use a sock in the bucket!

Your pool numbers were accurate, so that's good that you input everything correctly. However, I prefer these adds:
Now. Goal. Add
FC. 0. 5. 2Q
pH. 7.8. 7.5. 19oz
CYA. 0. 30. 42oz by VOLUME
Leave TA alone.

- - - Updated - - -

Just read Kim's update. That sounds like a good plan for the hubby. Good plan!!! Then test when you get home and adjust.

Is liquid stabilizer something that we could consider? My husband and I both have health issues that make the process of trying to dissolve the stuff in a sock very difficult but if necessary we'll figure out a way. If there were a liquid equivalent I could get that while I'm in town tomorrow

- - - Updated - - -

Yes. Definitely use a sock in the bucket!

Your pool numbers were accurate, so that's good that you input everything correctly. However, I prefer these adds:
Now. Goal. Add
FC. 0. 5. 2Q
pH. 7.8. 7.5. 19oz
CYA. 0. 30. 42oz by VOLUME
Leave TA alone.

- - - Updated - - -

Just read Kim's update. That sounds like a good plan for the hubby. Good plan!!! Then test when you get home and adjust.

On FC here you show the goal is 5, but I thought I was supposed to aim for 16 during the filling process?

Yes, you can buy liquid. It would be a great way to go if you can find some. It may only be available in pool stores, though. Can you make some calls?

The thing about CYA and FC is that you need to keep them in the proper ratio. Too little FC for your CYA can lead to algae and bacterial growth. Too much FC can lead to liner fading and degradation, as well as making the pool harsh to swim in. The ratios are outlined here: Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

All of that makes perfect sense... it is 9:36 p.m. and I just officially finished the drain... I got most of the product out what is left is very little residual. Hubby is switching the water hoses around and we're going to go ahead and start filling tonight so that hopefully by the time I get off work tomorrow and make the hour and a half drive home it will be done...i will recheck what qty of liquid stabilizer i need and get it while i am in town tommorow. :) I know I keep saying it but I want to thank all of you for going on this crazy ride with me and helping me get to the end of the race which I can see ahead of me now finally. I was stressed out to the point of almost being in tears most of the time for a few days before I found you guys and I honestly can say that I have felt the stress just lift off of me hour by hour as I gain knowledge and confidence in what you all are telling me. I will touch base with you all tomorrow with an update on where things are at as soon as I get home

So if I understand all of this correctly I should add two quarts total of my liquid chlorine to reach FC of 5 while the pool is filling and then tomorrow when I get home and its all full I can add the stabilizer and and more chlorine to get cya up to 40 and chlorine level up to shock level 16... and of course I will be testing my levels through the whole process

If that is the case I believe he would need to put more than a half a cup of chlorine in for each quarter of the pool fill? If he does a half cup for each quarter of the pool as it feels that's only two cups rather than 2 quarts so I just want to make sure I'm understanding that right

It depends on how fast your pool fills. If it's almost half full (or more) by morning, go ahead and add the 2Q and then hubby doesn't have to do anything until you get home. That should be just fine!

We are all just trying to help in our own way. I believe Kim was just trying to give you a safe recipe for the hubby!

Absolutely agreed! I just want to make sure that I do what I'm told to do so that everybody's time has been spent well helping me and I don't mess everything up by misunderstanding something. :) everybody has been so fantastic I feel like baking you guys some cookies! :) now that I'm on the downhill slide in this particular ride I just want to make sure I do it all right :) there's so much information to absorb and the learning curve is steep with me. I tend to either completely understand everything that said to me or completely not understand anything that said to me and I would like for this to be one of those where I understand everything because it would be tragic if I goof it all up now!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
With fresh water (almost), you have some time. I just wish you had the testkit now so that you could accurately test 16ppm FC. You will just have to keep the OTO orange until it arrives. Next Tuesday is it?

I like chocolate.... anything!!!!

I got my notification earlier this afternoon that my kit has shipped via UPS so I'm hoping I have it a little sooner than that. :) I actually get almost as much pleasure out of cleaning and testing my pool as I do swimming in it so I know that once I get it I can keep up with it pretty easily.

- - - Updated - - -

We just went and checked and it looks like around 4 inches in the pool since we turned on the water at about 10 o'clock. I think by 6 a.m. when we get up it should be getting fairly close to 18-20 inches...

My thought was to only keep it close to 16 for the first 2 days then let it drop under 10 so the OTO will give a idea.

So my idea was 16 at fill. Then expect half lost by end of 2nd day. Top up with about half as much as was used for the first fill. Won't be anyone swimming until it warms up a bit anyway, so even if it was 20ish, everything is still safe.

Then after that, let it drop to within OTO range, so everything is swim safe by Saturday when it might be warmed up a bit.

If you both reckon there's no algae (and there's every possibility I'm wrong on that, could have all just been calcium cloudiness), then why not skip the top-up on Friday, and just let the FC keep falling. I'm totally fine with that based on Kim and Marian's experience.

Good morning! All I need from your is your smile when you see your pool clear and looking like a jewel :sun:

You can use liquid stabilizer. It will cost you quite a bit more but..........it is easy.......your choose.

I agree with John in that we want to make sure any algae that might still be in there gone and we also want to protect the liner.

I have to ask......what did the stuff look like at the end? feel like?

None of this will matter when the first family member jumps in the pool and yellsYAHOOOOOOOOOOOO! LOL

The pool is between 1/4 and 1/3 full this morning... I think it will be full or close to it by the time I get home so I will have hubby add 2 quarts of liquid chlorine when it gets to about half way and stir around and then I'll check things when I get home and begin the process of finishing the treatment of the water! See you all at about 6:30 tonight!

The stuff that was left on the bottom as I got towards the end was just really soft powder for the most part. It was almost completely dark by the time I got to the end but I'm pretty sure I got almost everything out before I started the refill. As far as the cloudiness goes I'm almost sure that it was mainly the product that was suspended in the water and if there was any algae I'm pretty sure that the 11 bags of shock killed it. Lol

- - - Updated - - -

I just checked the tracking on my kit and I hope it's not lying because it says it's rescheduled to be delivered by the end of today!!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.